Mistory item

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
UG!

Mistory item

Post by UG! »

recently i won an item from ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

(it looked interesting and worth it for the conflat flanges at least )

it arrived today and i'm wondering what it is. i have ruled out it being an ion gun as there is no gas input to ionize. at first glance it would seem to be an electron gun but for a few oddities: the black box contains an electromiter or 2 carefully mounted in well shielded box near the plug. there is also rather more low power electronics in the box than i would expect for a electron gun (opp-amps and the like).
there is a mesh over the hole you would expect the electron beam to come out of. the mesh shows signs of getting hot (discoloration) this seems a silly place to put a wire mesh. the majority of the gun is made up of 4 rods, opposing rods electrically connected and both pairs with connections going to the plug. the whole assembly (when taken out of the tube) is about 6" long.
so what is it? a weird electron gun or have i stumbled across an RGA? (wishful thinking probably) or something else all together?

ah also there is a rather small plug for a high voltage supply on the box and the data plug is 27 pin, all used from what i can see. thee is no indication of a make, just a rather unhelpful model number: HAL 02/201i shall try to get some more pics soon.

Oliver
Roberto Ferrari

Re: Mistory item

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Oliver,
Yes, it looks as a RGA.
Hope the quadrupole is in good shape...
Look for the filaments and the electron multiplier. Well, may be an economic version with only a Faraday cup.
Roberto
UG!

Re: Mistory item

Post by UG! »

yes i have found the filaments now, but can't see what kind of colector it has without takeing it all appart. i found some information after a lengthy web-search. its made by a company cauled 'hiden' (apropreatly) and they are sending me some information on the pinout of the RF box so i can try to build an interface.

needless to say, i'm quite pleased with this, an RGA for £19.00 can't be bad (if i can build a interface anyway)

Oliver

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”