Steerer magnets

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
reza

Steerer magnets

Post by reza »

Anyone has any idea how "Steerer magnet" works?
I could not figure out that how magnetic fields could affect the electrons, since the magnetic field is in the same direction with the electron path.
Am I right?
3l

Re: Steerer magnets

Post by 3l »

Hi Sam :

A stearing magnet has to be at right angles to the dirrection of the electron travel in order to stear it.
It works just like the yoke in a TV set.
Opposing sets of coils create a ns or sn dirrection magnetic field.
The amount of voltage you feed the coil will determine the strength of the field.
By the left hand rule if the magnetic field lines point up The force (Lorentz) on the electron will be in the right dirrection . And vise versa.
By varying the strength you can bend the path of the electron at will .
With four sets of coils like a TV's yoke you can steer the electron beam side to side or up and down depending on the magnitude of voltage and the polarty you feed each coil.. Particle beam steering works the same way but with bigger magnets.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

An Axial magnetic field parallel to the electron's direction, will usually cause electrons to spiral. This is caused by initially slight off axis velocity of the electrons in the beam. This orientation of magnetic field is used in some ion measuring (ie.L vacuum pressure measurement gages) to improve sensitivity.

Dave Cooper
reza

Post by reza »

I have Attached a picture of Steerer magnet, please tell me the position and direction of magnetic field , Thanks
Attachments
steerer.jpg
steerer.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Hi Sam -

Thanks for the picture. I am not sure what I am looking at. Are the dark brown regions the winding(s) of solenoidal coils of magnet wire? Or are there permanent magnets there?

If those are short solenoid type coils, then with all the current flows to make an additive magnetic filed, there will be a rectangular flux path internal to the coils, and an oppositely circulating flux external to the coils. The external flux would also have a roughly rectangular shape.

If the currents were set to create opposing internal fields, the external fields would have a quadrupole like path, with each side having its external field in opposite directions to the neighboring fields.

I don't know where the electron(ion) flow would be with this device, so it is hard to predict what effect it might have.

I didn't give you very much help, here.

Dave Cooper
reza

Post by reza »

Hello Dave,
The dark brown regions are the windings of solenoidal coils, The electron flow is exactly perpendicular to the surface of your monitor. As i can understand there is no magnetic field in the empty region inside the square which electrons going to move through and affected by !!!!
What do you think? Thanks for your response,
Sam Parsa
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

An old timer (over 30 years old) showed me a trick many years ago. Just use a cheap 10 cent compass (probably costs 50 cents now) to trace out the magnetic field. Draw a sketch of the magnet, energize the magnet, then put the compass at various points around the magnet. Draw the direction the arrow of the compass is pointing onto the sketch of the magent. Once you do this to enough points, the B field can be easily visuallized. The electrons will be steered perpendicular to the B field lines.

Frank S.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”