My first XRT and some questions

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
John Taylor

Re: My first XRT and some questions

Post by John Taylor »

My mistake. I didn't see the laminations on the core. That small of a laminated core would be a very small duty cycle. My old eyes on a small phone display fooled me.
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I was at the dentist yesterday for annual X-rays and noted that the machine was 65 KV 8 mA and the exposure time was 0.08 seconds! My office uses a digital sensor, the "teeth pictures" show up right away on a flat screen monitor.

If you could figure out how to liquid cool that transformer at a high flow rate it might work for a fusor, it would also depend on how fine the wire is in the HV winding.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

We have a real time x ray microscope at work. 20uA is plenty for giving contrast in non-metallic objects easy, if not overexposed. I guess a head-sized object would need more like 50uA (not that the safety systems allow you to stick your head in it!! :) ). The max 200uA setting is for getting good contrast when penetrating mm worth of metal.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”