X-ray machine power supply question

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Mark Scott-Nash

X-ray machine power supply question

Post by Mark Scott-Nash »

Hello All,

I have the opportunity to acquire a working x-ray machine built in the 1970s, pictured below. I am trying to determine if the power supply is appropriate for a fusor.

The power output is adequate, with voltage ranging from 0 to more than -70kV and supplying 0-30mA of current. There is a timer on the control panel that allows up to 6 seconds of x-ray operation.

My question is, does anyone have experience with this type of machine? If so, would you know if the power supply components tolerate continuous operation?

Thanks,
Mark
XRM.JPG
XRM.JPG (27.08 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Carl Willis

Re: X-ray machine power supply question

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Mark,

Your question is an important one, as x-ray machines are rated for short-term current delivery at very low duty cycle. This is almost certainly a 60-Hz transformer-based machine. It should be able to handle a few milliamps continuously, and will run cooler if the voltage is reduced (due to core losses). Many such machines use a self-rectifying tube, so it will be an AC supply in need of a rectifier for fusor use. This means you may need to re-pot the transformer (and the added rectifier) in a new oil-filled container.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Richard Hull

Re: X-ray machine power supply question

Post by Richard Hull »

As Carl notes, you may have to break this system down and find out what the power supply is about. If it works out and you get it, let us have more details and some images of the guts. I have busted into and modified a number of X-ray system power supplies, but nothing that new.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”