Power Supply - Regulate Output Via Reference Voltage

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Alexandru_Calburean

Power Supply - Regulate Output Via Reference Voltage

Post by Alexandru_Calburean »

Hello,
I recently purchased a power supply on ebay and seem to have run into a problem with said supply and am therefore wondering if anyone has any experience with this supply or a similar supply. It is a Bertan high voltage -40kVDC @5mA supply with model number: 2411AP. My question is as follows: Since the supply seems to have a reference voltage source inside, as it has a and a 9pin J-2 molex connector, how would it be possible to control said reference, and hence the power supply high voltage output? The manual of a very similar supply (found here: http://www.rtftechnologies.org/Design/A ... ellman.pdf) says that it is located on pin 1 of the molex connector; however, in my supply pin 1 is missing from the molex connector. Below are some pictures of aforementioned supply and J-2 molex connector. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Alex
Attachments
20131205_220041.jpg
20131205_220032.jpg
Ross Moffett

Re: Power Supply - Regulate Output Via Reference Voltage

Post by Ross Moffett »

Can you take pics of the inside?

Maybe not a good idea if you don't know about discharging capacitors.
Alexandru_Calburean

Sure, sorry about that. Below are the pictures that you wanted to see.
Attachments
20131206_162221.jpg
20131206_162135.jpg
20131206_162123.jpg
20131206_162040.jpg
Alexandru_Calburean

Hello All,

It has been quite a while since I have last posted, school and such have kept me busy but I have been making progress on my fusor. I'm writing this post so as to inform anyone curious enough, about the solution to my question, which started the post. First, I have to thank Andrew Seltzman who has not only provided a pdf manual of a supply similar to mine on his site,but has also aided me by explaining reference voltage circuits, thus allowing me to build the control circuit. Second, I am gearing this explanation toward newbies and people in a situation similar to mine, so for all the pros wanting more complex circuits with full logic control on these devices, or do not want thing they already know repeated again, I'm sorry, but this post probably will disappoint. To begin, a few things about factory made transformers such as Spellman, Glassman, Bertan and so fourth. They usually include some sort of pin system that allows logic I/O and therefore is the key to controlling these supplies. Some might be asking, "Can't you just use a variac like one would use with a x-ray transformer or a NST?" and the simple answer is no. Think of these supplies like a fluorescent light bulb, you cannot use input voltage to control output, instead you will just cause performance issues, and I have been told some supplies won't even start until the proper input power has been detected. So the question now becomes how do you control something like this through the molex or similar pin interface. Well, to answer that one has to understand the idea of a reference voltage. This is usually an analog 0 to +10 voltage signal that is sent in to the transformer and used to control it. For example, if I send in a signal of 1 volt and my power supply outputs 40kV then 1 volt reference is equal to 4,000 volt output, 0-10 is the same as 0-full power. The question now becomes, how does one supply this voltage and where? Well, first you have to locate the pin combination that is used as the voltage program and the common control pin, for example on my supply it would be pins 4 and 9 (see page 4:http://www.rtftechnologies.org/Design/A ... ellman.pdf). Your supply manual must also have the identification of these pins and their function, otherwise it will be very hard if not impossible to locate them and determine their function/order (again, geared for beginners). Once you have found those pins, you will have to find a +DC source that outputs at least 10 volts (or i have also seen 0-4) or whatever your max reference voltage is. After you have located that, you must include a potentiometer in the circuit to allow you control of the 0-max ref. needed. The rest then is trivial, connect your variable +DC source to your voltage program I/O pins and you are done, easy as that! Below I have added some pictures of my setup to accompany the post and act as a visual aid.

All the best,
~Alex Calburean.
Attachments
20140123_213110.jpg
20140123_213100.jpg
20140123_213043.jpg
20140123_213012.jpg

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”