Neon Sign Transformer

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Jack Rosky

Neon Sign Transformer

Post by Jack Rosky »

I was looking at neon sign transformers for a demo fusor i plan on building. I was looking at a transformer from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Neon-Power- ... 257c8c4046 and i was wondering if 10kV was enough power to run a demo fusor. If I can use less voltage that would be helpful considering the lower the output voltage the lower the cost.
thanks,
Jack Rosky
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
-Issac Newton
Tom McCarthy

Re: Neon Sign Transformer

Post by Tom McCarthy »

From what I know Jack, most demo Fusors run at 10kv, I'm pretty sure 3 kv is sufficient but you mightn't get as good a plasma with that low a voltage. It's all in the FAQs.

One of the more experienced guys can probably answer your question more thoroughy.

Tom
Jack Rosky

Post by Jack Rosky »

Thank you so much Tom! You were one of the first really helpful people I have gotten a response from. You got straight to the point and answered my questions. I hope that I can assist you in something one day.
Regards,
Jack Rosky
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
-Issac Newton
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Jack Rosky wrote:Thank you so much Tom! You were one of the first really helpful people I have gotten a response from.
On this forum, from what I see, questions always get a response that they deserve.

Usually you'll get better than your question deserves, because folks here are helpful. IMO: So far, you have had better than your questions deserve.

The point to make here is:- This transformer is no good, as it is, for the purpose I imagine you want to put it. Read the FAQs.

Again, look at the input and output powers. What do these numbers tell you? I've explained this to you before, and although you might not realise it was helpful, nonetheless you need to get a grip on some of the basics of electronics if you're going to do this thing seriously.

But this is not the reason this particular transformer is no good, as it is. I've provided circuit options that could allow you to make use of this, however, but you should know this already from your reading.
Jack Rosky

Post by Jack Rosky »

I am posting this to tell you that I regret my previous statement. It was rude and uncalled for. I acted without thinking. When I posted that I was annoyed by other, unrelated, things. I realize know that your suggestions were very helpful. I will spend most of my time reading the FAQ's instead of mooching off of other people.
Sincerely,
Jack Rosky
-Issac Newton
ARDYN VAN FOSAAEN

Post by ARDYN VAN FOSAAEN »

So whats wrong with that transformer it is 10kv and 30ma output? Is it a solid state transformer that would be ruined if you controlled the input voltage with an autotransformer?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Solid state transformers, in general, will not even turn on until about 90 volts and then it is full bore. You really need an old Neon transformer that is a true transformer. These can be adjusted from zero volts to full potential with a variac.

I do not know where you live but look up neon signs in your phone book and go to a sign shop. They should have a lot of used transformers that aren't too expensive. Barring that, keep looking on e-bay. A real neon transformer is going to weigh about 15 pounds or more.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ARDYN VAN FOSAAEN

Post by ARDYN VAN FOSAAEN »

RICHARD thanks for the explanation it clarified it to me. It would have been more helpful and informative if someone had just told Jack the reason that transformer was not suitable per your explanation. Thank you. Van

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”