high voltage

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Jack Rosky

high voltage

Post by Jack Rosky »

hello,
I am making a demo fusor and i was planning on using a high voltage that goes from 0 to 25,000 volts. It only has an on switch, no control of how much voltage. Will this blow up the fusor? Do I need to buy one with a control or is this fine?
Regards,
Jack Rosky
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
-Issac Newton
Carl Willis

Re: high voltage

Post by Carl Willis »

Voltage control is essential. The power supply you may think is a fixed-voltage supply may in fact be controllable through a variable transformer, external control signal, or other means, but we'd have no means of helping you figure that out in the absence of a link to more information. By the same token, it's impossible to say what bad things could possibly happen to the power supply or the fusor without more information.
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Jack Rosky

Post by Jack Rosky »

Thank you carl,
I was planning on getting the high voltage power supply from united nuclear. Here is the link http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main ... e0db3491de
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Jack Rosky
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
-Issac Newton
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Jack, the principal recommendation arising from your questions so far is that you could usefully settle down to a lot more study. It's spoon fed to readers here on this forum, but it does involve, at least, some reading.

Sorry, I don't mean that sound harsh, but the thing you linked to says it will run off a 12V 1A regulator. What do you think this implies?

Assuming it runs at around 65% efficiency (I am anticipating I generally know the components used in that device), this means you can look forward to an unremarkable 0.3 mA at 25kV.

For all intent and purpose, if you wire this up to a demo fusor, the most likely thing that'll happen is that you'll get a glow at 1 torr or less, down to around 100 microns, during which time it'll be pulling the supply down to 700 V - 1 kV or so and loaded to its full shunt current, because anything less is unlikely to sustain a discharge current.

I'm pretty surprised they'd sell such a low power, unregulated supply for that price, but I guess they're selling into a market demand such as yourself, and if people buy it then why sell it for less? Buy it if you like, and experiment as you wish. I'm sure it serves a useful function for experiments, particularly to those that want to avoid any hardware building and just want to see 'physics in action', so to speak. No harm in that, and all the best to them for their business, &c..

But I can strap together an unregulated supply like this in 15 minutes from new parts I have lying around [and often do exactly that], the sum cost of which would be ~$8 or less. With more learning done here first, you should be able to learn and see how you could do this too.

As always, one can skip 'the learning' and use proprietary items, but this costs money and serves a doubtful objective in the general scheme of 'amateur' physics where it is usually the learning, scrounging and enjoyment of 'the build' which is where most of the actual fun and fulfilment come from.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”