Power supply.

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Jgn1

Power supply.

Post by Jgn1 »

Hello,

After wandering around ebay for ages, I finally managed to find an x-ray transformer. I already bought it. (output: 60kV (Ampl.) at 7 mA DC). Now I'm looking for a suitable power supply, but I have failed to find one. I'm starting to get desperated.

I have found something like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/100kV-DC-high-vo ... _846wt_991

But I'm not sure if this will be usable for the fusor. Any suggestions?
David D Speck MD

Re: Power supply.

Post by David D Speck MD »

This device is basically an auto induction coil. It is not suitable for fusor power -- just too little current output. Way overpriced for what's in the box.

Check the FAQs on this forum. There are many descriptions of successful fusor power supplies.

Dave
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Juan Robalino wrote:
> I finally managed to find an x-ray transformer. I already bought it. (output: 60kV (Ampl.) at 7 mA DC). Now I'm looking for a suitable power supply
If it is an ironed core transformer, your power supply will be a wall socket.

If it is a ferrite core then you'll have to get to grips with building electronic circuits. I'm not aware of suitable 'power supplies' capable of feeding a 400W ferrite transformer that you can buy - the transformer is usually part *of* the power supply!
Jgn1

Post by Jgn1 »

Thanks for the info again!

@Chris: here I have atached the ebay page of the Transformer. There you may see two pics of it:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/150850301260?ssP ... _609wt_991
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

That looks like a wound bobbin with no core, relatively useless unless you can find an appropriate core to put into it.
Jgn1

Post by Jgn1 »

Hello Tyler,

You are scaring me Tyler. Core? Hm, for example?
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Juan,

Sorry, but there is a steep learning curve ahead of you if you are aiming to piece together your own power supply.

Here is a link to one of the most detailed step-by-step build of a psu I've come across. Worth studying in depth ..... getting to understand why and how each component is used in this build is the trajectory of that learning curve.

http://w5jgv.com/hv-ps1/

(In case w5jgv comes through this part of the internet - thanks for the effort of preparing this!)
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

If you don't know what a transformer core is, you should do a lot of studying before you even think about powering up an x-ray transformer. It's for your own safety as well as those around you that you learn the fundamentals before working with such dangerous things.
Jgn1

Post by Jgn1 »

Thanks for the advice - I'll dedicate now to that.

Very nice link Chris, thanks!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Tyler and other are right! If you are to commit to a fusor then you must commit to a lot of reading and pro-active self teaching in most of the major technological disciplines that are touched upon in the effort to doing fusion.

This is the attraction for many and also what keeps many casually interested people form doing fusion. The learning curve is steep. A lot of good money can be ill spent without a bit of fore knowldge.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”