Disabling Internal GFI in newer NST?

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Ed Meserve

Disabling Internal GFI in newer NST?

Post by Ed Meserve »

Hi All, I need to pick your brains. The Allanson "pow R pak" NST has an internal ground fault interrupt that starts to kick in when I raise up the voltage on the variac beyond 45 VAC.
I been google-ing all over today and have had no luck finding any info on disabling GFIs. Before I dig into it, I thought I'd see what your collective thoughts were.

Thanks,
Ed
Ed Meserve
Jon Rosenstiel

Re: Disabling Internal GFI in newer NST?

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

From a few years back...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4646#p27484

Jon Rosenstiel
Ed Meserve

Post by Ed Meserve »

Thanks, John! I pinged the search, but I didn't pull this up. Tough to know what to ask when you don't know what to ask. : )
Ed
Ed Meserve
David D Speck MD

Post by David D Speck MD »

Ed,

First of all, is this a traditional 60 Hz iron core transformer, or a modern high frequency solid state supply? If it's a solid state high frequency supply, you are out of luck.

If it is an iron core transformer, then you may be able to remove the bottom plate and see if the GFI circuit module is identifiable. On some of the GFI protected transformers, it is a discrete unit in one corner of the case. You can trace out the wires and figure out how to bypass it.

Unfortunately, many of the modern iron core transformers are completely potted in some sort of impenetrable epoxy. Bypassing the GFIs on these is essentially impossible.

Dave Speck

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”