my high voltage power supply

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Vikram Singh

my high voltage power supply

Post by Vikram Singh »

this is how i hooked up everything for the high voltage power supply.
on the last picture you can see the wire and the feedthrough, how do i connect that and do i have to solder it together?
Also im not sure that i have achieved negative polarity?
Attachments
Fusor 004.jpg
Fusor 003.jpg
Fusor 002.jpg
Fusor 001.jpg
John Futter

Re: my high voltage power supply

Post by John Futter »

Vikram

It appears that you have correctly connected the diodes for negative output

I would suggest that the neon transformer is put into a plastic case to avoid accidents

I would not solder to your feedthrough if possible, use a wire clamp out of a plastic pcb to cable harness type connector

ie pheonix or similar or the more usual chocolate block connector all these work very well

stay safe
Vikram Singh

Post by Vikram Singh »

thank you very much I will be sure to that i wanted to be sure because i know this stuff is dangerous so i didnt want to take anything for granted.
TannerOates

Post by TannerOates »

Are the diodes connected with different polarities?
Quartinus

Post by Quartinus »

Read the FAQ. Here is what you are looking for.
TannerOates

Post by TannerOates »

THANKS !
TannerOates

Post by TannerOates »

Wait was there not something about the use of a capacitor in the design to smooth the voltage?
TannerOates wrote:
> THANKS !
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The capacitor is not absolutely required for a simple demo or even a real fusor. I will ammend the FAQ.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
TannerOates

Post by TannerOates »

I did this method and got nothing except for a really hot Diode on one side...no output....
Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets »

Mm...
Hot diode but no output?
For the diode to get hot, there has to be current passing through it. It may have been a bad diode (conducting in both directions, but I think you would still have had output. It would be AC and this may not have been measured by a DC voltmeter setting. There would still be a spark though. If diodes were reversed relative to each other, then current would have been AC much like unfiltered transformer output. If the transformer was failing on one lead, then normal operation through the other arm would heat that diode if the ballast resistance was two small or absent. But presumably again you would see some glow or positive arc test.

Test steps:

Transformer- arc tests (spark gap)of each arm of the transformer.

Diode arc test of each arm through the diode- Note that unballasted arc might destroy the diode if the shorted current exceeds the diode rating.

High voltage metering with appropriate voltage divider. Do AC first, then DC. If major difference in readings (greater than expected peak vs RMS voltage, then something is strange or the meter is not measuring appropriately. some meters may not measure DC voltage well if it is pulsating (unfiltered). Note that a high voltage probe or other voltage divider may not be needed, if you have a variable transformer (Variac). Just use a setting so that the final voltage stays within the meters range. An oscilloscope and/ or diode tester might also help. Though a normal diode tester may not work with high voltage diodes. There are methods to do the test.

Test wires / connectors for continuity, test grounding leads.

Safety first, do not assume the circuit is safe just because you are not getting a reading or spark or glow. There may be an intermittent open or short.

Did I miss anything?

Dan Tibbets

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”