Van De Graff

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Eldarion

Van De Graff

Post by Eldarion »

Would it be possible to run a pulsed demo fusor off of a van de graaf generator put trough a step down transformer and then through a diode string? Because van de graafs are very high voltage and very low current, a step down transformer should give it enough of each to be able to run a small demo fusor, correct?

Any input is thanked in advanced.
Carl Willis

Re: Van De Graff

Post by Carl Willis »

Van de Graaff generators produce a DC current.

Transformers work on the principle that a CHANGING magnetic field induces an electric field; they are fundamentally AC devices.

In other words, what has been proposed is not functional.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Sorry, I meant to say run it through an inverter, transformer, and then through the diodes.
Wilfried Heil

Post by Wilfried Heil »

Nope, that won't work. You might consider to use the inverter, transformer and diodes alone ...
Or just try to use the Van de Graaff as a DC power supply for the fusor and report your results.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

It would be a lot harder, considering the extremely low amperage a van de graaf carries ,not even enough for plasma.
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

There is additional discussion of this in this previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4721#p27559
Wilfried Heil

Post by Wilfried Heil »

To my knowledge, no one has run a fusor with a VDG yet. Of course one can discuss such things endlessly, or simply try them, which would bring the discussion to a higher level.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Which is what I am doing, but first one need a van de graaf generator, and that is what I am working on right now.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Nelson -

To get 1 or 2 mA from a Van deGraaf generator requires a fairly large charging belt. Most of the ones I've seen, charge in the 100 uA range or below.

Getting mA levels of current from almost any static electricity device is a challenge in itself. The lower voltage Wimshurst machines may actually charge at higher levels.
Both types, do better in a dry pressurized enclosure.

That said, if you are thinking of a short burst like operating mode for a fusor, than either device charging a suitably sized capacitor, and discharging through an overvolted sphere gap - might be workable.

It's a good exercise to figure out what size capacitor and resistors you need, based on the current you want to deliver and for how long, etc. and etc.

The real caution I would urge is to remember that electrostatic generators are very high voltage, low current devices. The x-ray danger from a fusor increases dramatically as the voltage increases. So even while the bursts may be very short, without proper shielding, you could be exposed to repetitive high energy xrays which over time could pose a health hazard. Burst type radiation is a bit more difficult to measure in comparison to steady state emissions.

Dave Cooper

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”