Glassman 4kw supply on ebay - if you have 3-phase...

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Brian McDermott

Another control unit?

Post by Brian McDermott »

Is this an actual supply or just another control unit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=32720
Richard Hester

Re: Another control unit?

Post by Richard Hester »

That's a good question. I see a connector for a control cable, but also see a well-type connector that may be a Federal HV socket. Best to ask the seller some well-honed questions and perhaps ask for a few more detail pictures.
Brian McDermott

Re: Another control unit?

Post by Brian McDermott »

The seller said it was indeed a HV power supply (30kv, 150 uA {15ma}), with a single phase input of 110 volts. It has a positive bias, but he claims that a simple internal wiring change can make it negaitve. He also posted a new picture of the internal wiring.
Richard Hull

Re: Glassman 4kw supply on ebay - if you have 3-phase...

Post by Richard Hull »

I'll bet that this is the real thing as that well output looks beefy enough to handle the full 30kv with ease.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
plasmann

Post by plasmann »

I think it might be part of the real thing. I talked to Glassman about the supply and they confirmed my skepticisim about it not being complete. The seller claims it is 0-75kV @ 100mA, but then says it's 4000W. The only unit that glassman sells like this uses two 4kw chassis to get the 100mA current rating. The label on the master supply will have the 75kV @ 100mA rating on the tag though. It is probably the master driver of the other 4kW slave that doesn't seem to be included. They warned me that the supply still might not function as a stand alone because it might be missing feedback signals from the slave unit, if it is indeed a 100mA unit. Also the seler says it is reverseable polarity, which it is, but does not offer the the opposite polarity stack so that one can change it(if you don't have the opposite HV assembly, your stuck with what you got), also he does not specify what polarity it is set up for, which means you will be stuck with using ion sources or grids. Also the seller does not specify input power rating, but it looks like he has it wired to single phase(two hots and a ground), which would be a PKCP model rated for 220VAC, or it could be a three phase model that someone tried hooking up to single phase, but the seller does not state the model # or the options. I have e-mailed the seller multiple times asking what the model # is, and about the other issues I just brought up, but he never responds. His warranty is only for parts and labor, not necessarly a complete unit, so it might be a perfectly functional component of a larger system, that does not function standalone. No doubt this is the supply to have, assuming it is complete and the polarity you want, and power input you have.

Mike Amann
kbonin

Post by kbonin »

Let me add to this - the power cable shown in the pictures does appear to be a normal single phase cable - and I'm pretty sure its not the correct cable.

On the other hand, if you download the PK family docs, it seems to match the unit shown, which is an entirely rack mounted unit.

On the other other hand, he's now claiming 0-75kV and 0-100mA, and the front panel in the picture still says "Series PK"... Glassman also has a fully enclosed model that delivers this - the PK75R100 is the reversable version, its 21" tall. Given a rack mount panel of 19", the aspect ration in the picture doesn't look right for that to be the model...

Some Glassman supplies will allow driving the output to voltage/current combinations so long as the total power output doesn't exceed the unit maximum, so it may still be possible, I only have the family docs and not the manuals...

I dunno - I'm pretty sure the power cable shown in the picture won't work, nothing in the docs says anything other than 3-phase. I also don't see the assembly to reverse the polarity, although I don't know if this is stored inside the case or not, I haven't been fortunate enough to be able to play with on of these yet - just been parked at the top of my wishlist for a few years...

I still think its a PK57R50, and the picture now shows an output cable, which was one major concern - that could easily cost more than the units ebay cost if you ordered it from Glassman. FWIW, if I had 3-phase at my bench, I'd still already have this unit on its way to me...
kbonin

Post by kbonin »

Its now up for the third time (that I know of) at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2554864620

This time its listed as 0-75kV, 0-25mA, but STILL no model number. The seller has also raised the minimum opening bid to $1000...

I checked the sellers transaction history - they were almost entirely purchases, allmost entirely very cheap electronics components. The few sales were mostly cheap items. FWIW, given the change in opening bid and this history, I now retract my "I'd buy" position without inspecting the equipment personally first...
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

The bottom line is, I wouldn't buy an expensive item like the Glassman supply if the seller refuses to reveal the model number. It sounds extremely fishy to me.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”