Power Supply Suggestions

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
bwsparxz

Power Supply Suggestions

Post by bwsparxz »

I would like to hear from members who have a working Fusor as to what type of power supply they are using. I am looking to see what type I need to find to power a neutron fuor. Carl's advice is to use an X-ray tranny like in his setup. I would agree as it has a high voltage range and current. Would that be the best route for me to go? If so, would I just need a variac since its output is already rectified? And would I need a variac over 10 amps? Like to hear others thoughts on this.
Captain_Proton

Re: Power Supply Suggestions

Post by Captain_Proton »

I'm currently using a rack-mounted unit by Glassman High Voltage out of High Bridge, New Jersey. It has a variable output from 0-125KV DC at 0-7.5mA. It even has reversible polarity for glow discharge mode. It only weighs 30 pounds and takes up only 5.25 inches of panel space. After many botched attemps at assembling my own, I sprang for a professionally made unit. They cost a bit, but I have to say it's been worth it as far as my data is concerned. Nice specs, and very user friendly with front-panel controls.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Brian, you are scheduled to come to my bash here in October. You will see my setup then.

I use a simple 80kv X-ray transformer with full wave rectification under oil. No filter caps. I control the output voltage with a 6kw variac.

I will have about 30 variacs for sale at the electronic/scientific flea market we have at this event.

The power supply of any neutron producing fusor should have a capability of 2KW at least. Most fusors work at or just under 1KW.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Brian,

Carl is 100% correct.

I'm using a fairly old, uses tubes, (Kenotrons), for rectifiers, GE 100kVp x-ray supply. (100kV between the anode and cathode leads, 50kV either side to the case). My variac is a 15A, 240V model.

Once you have one of these babies you'll never need another power supply! I've screwed around with NSTs, (ok for a demo fusor, but that’s about it), flybacks, (lotsa’ voltage, but the current sucks), and I don't remember what else, and this old x-ray power supply beats them all, hands down! The HV control is as linear as can be, from zero to a little over 50kV. Plenty of current for any HV project I can imagine.

I bought mine from Chris Boden of the "Geek Group". (Tesla coil dudes). The shipping from Ohio to California was a killer, but I don't regret it one bit!

If you go the x-ray power supply route just be sure to treat it with respect because it can bite! HARD!

Jon Rosenstiel
jlheidecker

Post by jlheidecker »

Did you purchase your Glassman new?

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”