neon transformer experimental paper

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Richard Hull

neon transformer experimental paper

Post by Richard Hull »

I just got through doing a paper on the neon sign transformer for a publication and will post it tonight in the files forum. It is in word format and rather large with photos and graphs (500kbyte).

All this is the result of a recent, but friendly dispute between myself and a good friend and fellow researcher.

It basically determines the limitations of the transformer as regards its nameplate rating.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Re: neon transformer experimental paper

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Very well done, Richard. You should share this with the Tesla folks.

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I thought about sharing it on the old pupman board, but I am off of it now and don't want the high traffic volume on my E-mails anymore. Anyone on that list is welcome to tranfer it if they wish, just make sure my name stays at the top. The thing hasn't been published yet.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
3l

Post by 3l »

That paper confirmed what I had found when I tried to use neon formers for pulse work. Bad... very bad.
But make it an LRC circuit and the performance hits the floor rapidly. My neons are only suitable for induction heating and some trigger work only.
Thanx for the paper.

Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
raneyt

Post by raneyt »

Richard,

Good paper, I enjoyed reading it. I especially liked the instructions regarding rectification of the HV output. Thanks again for the copy. TIM

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”