High voltage power supplies in vacuum and on Mars

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Peter Schmelcher

High voltage power supplies in vacuum and on Mars

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

I was looking for insulator voltage stress vs life time data and came across a NASA 2012 2-day conference on high voltage power supplies designed for “flight”. The entire conference was a teaching event. I watched the videos mostly at double speed playback, rewinding and slowing down if I missed something important. Steve was the major presenter and his pics showed off a few supplies at various stages in the creation process. Hubble and SOHO space crafts were mentioned but most of the construction pics were a supply on Mars.

https://nescacademy.nasa.gov/video/2adc ... 7853fe401d
To find the other videos search on that page: High voltage engineering techniques

FYI insulator ageing is a 9th order time problem and the “standard” dielectric breakdown test duration is 5 minutes. A good test only for single use, short lived disposable applications.

-Peter
Richard Hull

Re: High voltage power supplies in vacuum and on Mars

Post by Richard Hull »

Really good stuff on these videos. As a tesla coiler of many years, I recognized many issues that were discussed. I also noticed that they realize and admitted to their lot being more of a "guild" in which key facts were passed down that might not be in the scientific literature which are bordering on artifice. I have stressed this "informed, experimental working history" value that is a form of artifice possessed by only the workers and "doers". Key was the admission that as a worker one might grossly de-rate a part or insulator well below its manufacturer's specifications as a safety factor in design work. Experience speaks volumes once again.

The one thing that they touched was temperature of the insulating material. Air, in stressed situations, is subject the thermal currents of rising hot air moving about stressed conductors. I have seen this in much of my tesla work. It reminded me of the recent breakdown on Finns' fusor between toroids. if the insulator is hot, thermal currents of rising warm or hot air seemed to cause the arc to flash over in the skyward direction. Much to think about here.

Great video's and thanks peter!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Peter Schmelcher

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

Richard I though you’d like them. That level of design is an art form, a niche audience even for the folks that hangout here.

My favorite gem was the multi-giga-ohm resistor that measured the Mars X-ray supply output voltage. Copper tape (proof-of-concept) stuck on the resistor’s side compensated the resistor’s series inductance and increase the servo loop bandwidth for tighter voltage regulation. What a brilliant method. Non inductive high voltage resistors are pricey if available and now we can just make them. The 2nd gem was a shocker when Steve said all supplies flashover. Supplies are designed to not damage the powered instrumentation during a flashover which implies the supply restarts and the mission resumes.

Probably worth a re watch in a few months to find more gems.
-Peter
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Correct! At least for me. Each time I see a complex movie or tech bit on video, a review later and perhaps many times later, I seem to pick up a valuable gem hidden in the "grass" from the first pass. I have Watched Carl Willis' neutron setup and activation videos several times since he posted them and Mark Rowley's Pem cell videos at least 4 times now. The Accountant is one of those movies that captivated me. My wife thinks I am insane as I have watched it now 23 times, (since see started keeping a log). Fascinating with lots of stuff just below the surface, (at least for me).

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”