A 50kV supply with 33mA drive ability

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Dennis P Brown

Re: A 50kV supply with 33mA drive ability

Post by Dennis P Brown »

As always, your home made equipment is extremely professional and rather state-of-the-art. Great pic's and progress. Do be careful of x-rays - 60 kV at over 35 ma will produce a very dangerous flux.

I built a 120 - 150 kV voltage multiplier and while it was all under oil, its nearby static effects convinced me to shut it down and place it in mothballs the first, and only time I charged it up.
Voltages in the 100 kV+ range can get rather flaky and difficult to safely shield. I also realized the accelerator it was to be tied to would produce just too dangerous of an x-ray flux; I went with my nearly done fusor instead.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Very nice setup Finn. I especially like your temperature monitoring arrangement for the typical problem areas. I’ll probably follow your lead here when begin my next phase of psu upgrades this summer.

Mark Rowley
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

Dennis,
Thanks for your kind words, and yes, radiation is a subject I will have to pay very serious attention to from now on. At present I am relying on below 30kV and the lead glas in the Lesker viewport.

Mark,

If you want to try the LLC topology, and need a PCB, then you know who to contact.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”