30KV Supply

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Isaac Marles

30KV Supply

Post by Isaac Marles »

So I've been working on my fusor for some time now and have thoroughly tested my system, however the one thing I lack is a decent power supply (my last one couldn't cut it). After reading the FAQs what I'm looking for is a supply with above 20KV and 16ma or above positively grounded, as expected said power supplies are very hard to find at a good price and had subsequently opted to make my own hf high voltage supply. This was when I spotted this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3258788 ... 34fbEI6Igv
The seller states:
"model: CX-800A

Input voltage: 180V~260V(AC 50/60Hz)

output voltage: -1KV~-20KV(DC)(continuously)

output current:0~40mA(DC)

Max output power:800W"
It was the fact that it says its a continuous output that draws me though I'm unsure of its validity, I'm also wondering if its rating will be suitable for use in a fusor, or whether some modifications are needed.

Thanks

Isaac
Mark Rowley

Re: 30KV Supply

Post by Mark Rowley »

Looks to be similar to the precipitator power supply. Did you read that specific FAQ? Anything along those lines will undoubtedly be subject to the same precautions / buyer beware.

If you want to go in this direction, another possible supply would be the DY20 laser power supply. 50kV at allegedly 35ma. HOWEVER, this unit offers current control and no known voltage control. As far as I know no one has tried using the DY20 with a fusor so you’d be the first if you chose to. And again, the precautions in the aforementioned FAQ apply. Be mindful of the torrent of xrays this would produce, fusor chamber size limitations, and the destructive pitfalls off operating it at the wrong vacuum levels.

Mark Rowley
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

There are a number of warning flags on the unit that is displayed (maybe applies to other units) - that unit is current limited; this is often a killer for a fusor. Fusors result in near to complete 'shorts' constantly and that power supply might have major issues with that property. Further, it says 0-40 ma for the voltage range - that generally means it might give 1 ma at the high range and 30- 40 ma only in the lowest voltages ranges. If it will produce enough power in the 20 kV is not likely. That is because it states it is 200 watts (continous) and that is rather low for detectable fusion in most fusor designs. There are other units but as noted - voltage control does not appear to be part of the design; in which case, the unit(s) are worthless for a fusor.

With shipping that is one expensive power supply considering these unknowns and knows.
Isaac Marles

Post by Isaac Marles »

Mark Rowley wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:48 pm Looks to be similar to the precipitator power supply. Did you read that specific FAQ? Anything along those lines will undoubtedly be subject to the same precautions / buyer beware.

If you want to go in this direction, another possible supply would be the DY20 laser power supply. 50kV at allegedly 35ma. HOWEVER, this unit offers current control and no known voltage control. As far as I know no one has tried using the DY20 with a fusor so you’d be the first if you chose to. And again, the precautions in the aforementioned FAQ apply. Be mindful of the torrent of xrays this would produce, fusor chamber size limitations, and the destructive pitfalls off operating it at the wrong vacuum levels.

Mark Rowley
Sorry that FAQ was posted after I had read all the rest, I've seen it now and read it in detail its very good and answers all my questions thank you very much. I don't think a precipitator supply is suitable for my system, I have quite a large 12" long chamber with 6" diameter so probably not for me. I'll probably go with what I was planning before and build my own high frequency high voltage supply tailored to my exact spec. Thank you for your help though :)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

You are new here. We constantly warn people not to include quotes from within a thread... The reason being, we are all intelligent and can read all that has gone before and can retain it. No need for a rehash of what is in the thread just above or on a previous page in a long thread. I know this is common on other sites, but is not needed here. Avoid using a quoting block from others within a thread.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Isaac Marles

Post by Isaac Marles »

Oh ok I'm very sorry I didn't know, it won't happen again
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

If you do build your own supply, please do post your design and details as you progress; a lot of people here would find that very interesting.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”