Need help to choose a correct transformer

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Tony Lai

Need help to choose a correct transformer

Post by Tony Lai »

Hi, I'm new here and is planning to construct a fusor. However now I'm a bit confused about the power requirment for the fusion.
Now I'm stuck between the choice of picking a 500W or 1000W transformer, they are both rated at 30KV. I'm planning to add a 50k ohm ballast resistor in the circuit, that really causes confusion as I have no idea if it will drain too much power and kill the fusion if I pick the cheaper 500W one. I'm seeking urgrent help to overcome this electrical trauma....
I truely appreciate for any help.
Joe Gayo

Re: Need help to choose a correct transformer

Post by Joe Gayo »

Hint: ohms law
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

The ballast resistor isn't really relavent to the issue you are asking but do make sure you have the correct resistor type (see the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13497.) But the most important issue for a fusor after getting over 20/25 kV is power, not ultimate voltage.

Your user name and actual name are different and you need to fix that per the rules here.
Tony Lai

Post by Tony Lai »

Thanks for the help, now I'm going for the big one.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”