A power driver for pulsed HV system transformers

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Richard Hull

A power driver for pulsed HV system transformers

Post by Richard Hull »

In the June Bell Jar issue, Steve Hansen features his plasma jet set up and talks about the need for potent high voltage, high frequency drive for the item. In the discussion he alludes to a nice power driver from England. I attach the link URL below. It costs 92 bucks and the specs look interesting and strong. Unfortunately they are closed for covid and the power driver is back ordered according to Steve, who checked it out when he tried to order one.

https://www.rmcybernetics.com/shop/cybe ... lator-ocxi

Check it out. I printed out the manual and it looks very well done, indeed. This puppy will take a wide range of input DC voltages, handle a continuous 300 watts of drive, but you could boost that with a potent FET or IGBT single transistor hooked to the output. It will work from about 0-1.5 mhz!! Variable frequency and duty cycle are part of the rig. It can work with an input switcher DC voltage from 0 to 340 volts. (variac your big separately produced 0-340 volt supply once you find a sweet spot in frequency and duty cycle which your transformer likes.

You will need a high frequency ferrite core transformer in the ideal situation and the usual add-on HV diode multipliers. This driver allows for a lot of flexibility and innovation in a fusor supply situation for the adroit and practiced hand looking to avoid the nightmare of making a good switcher driver.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
PazHeping

Re: A power driver for pulsed HV system transformers

Post by PazHeping »

I sent these folks an email and they got right back to me. If they were closed they told me they are open now just a little behind on shipments. So, off hand where would one even begin to find the right step up transformer for connecting to one of these?
Thanks,
Paz
------
The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Richard Hull

Re: A power driver for pulsed HV system transformers

Post by Richard Hull »

Many folks here have bought and been unable to use modern HF dental x-ray transformers due to the need for a significant pulsed supply. Or you could wind your own transformer. You are on your won here as the core would need to be selected ferrite with superior insulation.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”