50kV Supply

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Cristiano_Machado

Re: 50kV Supply

Post by Cristiano_Machado »

Hello,

Finally I received my unit. Now I am working on the driver.

I would appreciate your comment on my design. This is based in Joe's suggestion (http://www.loneoceans.com/labs/sstc2/), and Gao Guangyan's project.
Power inverter
Power inverter
The output will be plugged into the unit transformer.
Transformer
Transformer
I am still working on the frequency generator to control the IGBTs.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Cristiano
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

HI Cristiano

I recommend that you purchase one of the control boards from the seller and use that as a start. Coupled with the HV box it makes a complete Glassman ER PSU minus the front panel components. It has a driver similar to your sketch. You can start from that and then try to hack it to get higher output.

If you choose not to, you can still refer to the schematic for it. Regarding your schematic, you should use a bridge rectifier, and also you would not need a Variac if you use a standard PWM controller/driver IC where you have shown "frequency driver".

Regards
Chris
Cristiano_Machado

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your feedback. I will check this board with the seller.

I completed the schematic, using my initial design. Now I need to figure out the value of interrupter's resistors and capacitor. I think 25 kHz and 40% duty cycle is a good start and it will not stress the unit.

Please fell free to comment and give any suggestion.

Regards,

Cristiano

Controle complete.jpg
seamus sullivan

Post by seamus sullivan »

how many mA should the 50kv transformer be rated at?
im a still learning and planning on building my own fusion reactor.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Seabird, your two first posts seem very uninformed and possibly troll-like, but I won't give any details why until you fix things to become a valid user.

(Posting my new-user reply again.)

When you registered you clicked to accepted the terms that were given on the 1st registration page:
Fusor Forums - Registration

That page contains the same rules as what is listed here:
Board index - Announcements - Announcements and Site Administration Topics
Fusor.Net Policies and Procedures
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10508#p69690

and specifically The Rules: #1
The forum rules require you to use your full name as your username. If your name is John Smith, your UserID (i.e. login handle) must be John Smith, or John_Smith. This is the name that will appear in the forum listings. “JSmith” or “JohnS” or “JS997” or “handles” like “MrFusion” or “ProtonBoy” are NOT permitted.

Also there is: The Rules: #2
New members are required to introduce themselves in the "Please Introduce Yourself" forum prior to posting elsewhere on the site.

You have not complied. Please change your username to comply.

Changing your Username

Here's how:
  • Login to the board
  • click your current username in the upper-right of the main page and select User Control Panel from the pull-down
  • In the tabs at the top, select Profile
  • At the left column, select Edit account settings
  • Edit the Username: field to be your full name
  • Type your password in the Current password: field (near bottom of page)
  • Click Submit button at bottom
  • Note: After you change Username, the new name becomes what you use to login to the Forum. Your password should remain the same.
I also suggest adding a Location to your profile. It can help to know generally where a member is in the world to adjust a response to them. I have used my City and State, but if you are worried it could be more general -- just State, something like Central USA, just your Country is better than nothing.

Adding a Location
(Skip the first 3 steps if you are already in the Profile section from doing the Username update.)
  • Login to the board
  • click User Control Panel near the top of the main page
  • In the tabs at the top, select Profile
  • At the left column, select Edit profile
  • Edit the Location: field
  • Click Submit button at bottom
This Location information will appear in the right column, under your name, when you post.

Don't forget to make your "Please Introduce Yourself" post too.
Rex Allers
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

His question is also not pertinent to this thread and furthermore the answer he seeks is easily found in the FAQ's. Providing he complies with the registration rules, answering his question will serve to skew / hijack the linear flow of Joe's post.

Mark Rowley
seamus sullivan

Re: 50kV Supply seamus sullivan

ok sorry
i have fixed that and put in my real name and my about me.

what should my power supply be rated at?
how many mA and kv should it be set at?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Fusion power supplies are not set at any voltage or current. Instead they must be totally variable from 0 volt to a maximum determined by the user. Demo fusors are easily run by oil burner ignition transformers controlled by a variac. They are typically rated at 10kv @ 20 to28 ma. A neon sign transformer is more often used in the 12kv to 15kv range and rated at 30ma. High voltage diodes are needed to turn this into DC.

All of this related to a demo fusor is in the FAQs which it is now obvious you have not read at all. Demo fusors do not do fusion....

Serious, real fusion fusors demand a minimum of 30kv @ 30ma capability or more. This separates the men from the boys. Top level fusors use supplies that are capable of running well over 40kv @ 30ma.
Again, all of this is in the FAQs....Read them....

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
seamus sullivan

ok thanks for your help. i will read the FAQs. I just recently registered and don't know a lot about the site.
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

I've finally gotten around the opening up my Glassman 50KV supply, and was reviewing this thread before beginning the conversion work for my fusor. Unfortunately a number of photo links in this thread appear to be dead, I was hoping Joe had some backed up and would be able to repost them!
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

You don't need 30 mA. I have achieved measurable fusion at 40 KV at 7 mA.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Nicolas,

Per your, "opening up my Glassman 50KV supply." I'm not sure what that means. What exactly do you have?

The aluminum box that Joe tipped us off to is part of a rearranged custom design based on a
Glassman ER50N6 0-50kV 0-6mA supply. That aluminum box has the high frequency transformer and a multiplier section. To make the box work it needs a driver board. Joe made his own, the full design was never shared. In the TSA-style x-ray scanner that these came from there was a main board almost exactly as in a Glassman ER supply. The ebay seller was offering a very price-reasonable package with the aluminum box, the main board, and connecting cables.

Chris Giles is the only one I heard from that went for that deal. (Other than me.)

I think I have worked out all the details one might need for a standard ER supply or the variations that this scanner package used.

So if you say what you have, and it is some form of ER that I understand, I can probably point you at an info package with all the details to make it work. If you got one of the aluminum boxes but not the main board, then you are missing the whole driver system.

Oh, and with Joe's driver that he designed, I think he pushed the (aluminum box) transformer and multiplier a good bit beyond the 300 W output specs of the ER50N6.
Rex Allers
Cristiano_Machado

Hello,

At that time I bought one of this box. Indeed it didnt come with the driver.

If someone develop a driver for this supply, I am interested.

Regards,

Cristiano
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

Hi Rex,
I have the same box purchased by Joe, it's the AHV1IRT50N06, it requires the driver circuit. I'm planning on making my own, but I was hoping to see the arrangement in the box that Joe had built just to give me an idea of how he'd solved the problem. Unfortunately the photos have disappeared due to the site migration.
Cristiano_Machado

I have this picture from original post:
IMG_0810_sm.jpg
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

Thank you Cristiano!

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”