Spellman DXM70N600X3547 power supplies on ebay -70kV 8.56MA

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
William Kelly

Re: Spellman DXM70N600X3547 power supplies on ebay -70kV 8.5

Post by William Kelly »

Jim Stead wrote:In a previous post, Andrew said they used a Claymount CA11 mini connector. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10294&p=70621&hilit ... 547#p70621
Does anyone know a way of acquiring one of these CA11 Mini Connectors? I reached out to the company and the eBay seller, unfortunately for me, Claymont only sells to companies and apparently a 16-year-old kid does not qualify as a company. But in all seriousness, if someone knows anything about where to get one of these it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
- William
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

We can make them, William. What kind of HV insulated cable will you use? Which of the four terminals in the negative HV connector well do you want to connect to? So far I've been unable to find a dimensioned drawing of any CA11 connector, so I will measure & report when my PS arrives. I will want to bring out at least two of the terminals, for filament power on x-ray tubes at modest voltage (30 kV?).
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Here are the dimensions of the connector, I'll work on a better drawing later
IMG_20161113_201038032.jpg
Designed to be used with this wire:
http://hvstuff.com/1meter-100kv-35kvac- ... e-stranded
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Seltzman

Here is an autopsy of one of the CA11 connectors, the plugs are potted and not available as a kit.
IMG_20160801_152630113.jpg
IMG_20160801_152622788.jpg

And the progress in replicating it:
SAM_5224.JPG
IMG_20160726_175654570.jpg
SAM_5226.JPG
Flyer Connector CA11.pdf
(134.48 KiB) Downloaded 1987 times
The pins are 2mm diameter, 22mm long with an 11mm insertion depth. Not all of that depth goes into the mating socket because of the potting compound and a silicon gasket
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Peter Schmelcher

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

Andrew I also snagged a supply and I just wanted to say thanks for the tip.

Nice work on the replacement connector! When I located the CA11 specifications in medical connectors I thought to myself buying new ones are going to hurt.

I can’t tell from your autopsy picture of the CA11 if any of the 4 wires are in good electrical contact with the black rubber. I am guessing the black rubber is mixed with carbon and is slightly conductive to reduce the maximum E field gradient within the connector/cable dielectric.

Best Wishes,
Peter
Andrew Seltzman

The center wires are insulated but wrapped in a slightly conductive anti-corona liner. The outside of the cable, starting after the potting epoxy, is wrapped in the same liner under the metal ground braid.

Claymount quoted a 2m cable with a CA11 connector at about $60
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Andrew and anyone else,
Do you know if the 600 Watt rating is based on a hard current rating at every voltage, or does the power rating mean you can drive a higher current at lower voltages than you can at rated voltage?
Andrew Seltzman

Hard current rating, max is 8.56mA
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Peter Schmelcher

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

Andrew another thanks.
For $60 I am happy to buy a CA11 pre connected to a cable. I was expecting sticker shock around medical related stuff and had begun looking for materials to build my own. I guess I need to be more open minded.
-Peter
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

Perhaps given the number of these supplies purchased, we should consider a group purchase of cables.
William Kelly

Post by William Kelly »

Rich Feldman wrote:We can make them, William. What kind of HV insulated cable will you use? Which of the four terminals in the negative HV connector well do you want to connect to? So far I've been unable to find a dimensioned drawing of any CA11 connector, so I will measure & report when my PS arrives. I will want to bring out at least two of the terminals, for filament power on x-ray tubes at modest voltage (30 kV?).
Yes, that would be great if you can make one. I have a spherical vacuum chamber as well with 2.75" ports. I am getting a high power MDC feedthrough (http://www.mdcvacuum.com/DisplayProduct ... 1&g=m61034), if you need this info. So I would like a CA11 chord of adequate length probably like around 12 feet or so.
EDIT: I would also like to add that I have little to no knowledge about the chords needed for this power source. The extent of my knowledge is that: I need this power source to transfer at the very minimum around 35kv to the vacuum MDC feedthrough. So what I need chords for are: firstly, from the plug on my wall to the power supply next from the power supply to a computer as that is how you control the output I believe and then finally from the power supply to the MDC feedthrough on the vacuum chamber.
Last edited by William Kelly on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarvesh Sadana

Post by Sarvesh Sadana »

I also picked one of these supplies.

If anyone is considering doing a group purchase of these connectors, count me in.
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Re. cables with CA11 connector:

A group purchase can overcome hurdles like minimum order value, or institutional-byuer requirement. But there are important product variables other than length. Experienced users like Andrew might have good suggestions there.

How many inner conductors do you want? I need at least two. Do cables from Claymount always come with four? I have not looked at the DXM70N manual to see how the CA11 receptacle is wired.

What about the connector's ground ring, and possible braided conductor outside the cable's HV insulation?

What's on the other end of the cable? Another CA11 connector? In that case, consider ordering cables twice as long as necessary, and cutting them in half.

What's the maximum voltage you need? Probably not 75 kV DC, the nominal connector rating. Homebrew solutions for fusors could get by with less strongly insulated cables.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
William Kelly

Post by William Kelly »

Rich Feldman wrote:Re. cables with CA11 connector:

A group purchase can overcome hurdles like minimum order value, or institutional-byuer requirement. But there are important product variables other than length. Experienced users like Andrew might have good suggestions there.

How many inner conductors do you want? I need at least two. Do cables from Claymount always come with four? I have not looked at the DXM70N manual to see how the CA11 receptacle is wired.

What about the connector's ground ring, and possible braided conductor outside the cable's HV insulation?

What's on the other end of the cable? Another CA11 connector? In that case, consider ordering cables twice as long as necessary, and cutting them in half.

What's the maximum voltage you need? Probably not 75 kV DC, the nominal connector rating. Homebrew solutions for fusors could get by with less strongly insulated cables.
What I need, at least, is a cable to plug into the output port of the spellman (the CA11 connector) to the MDC ceramic feed through on the vacuum chamber. All the while extreme insulation will be needed due to the nature of 30kv. Also this plug would need to be, at the very least, 12 ft long and able to handle at least 40kv.
Andrew Seltzman

Keep in mind that fusion rate increases exponentially with voltage, if you have a 70kV supply, I'd recommend running 70kV. Any reason why you want 12ft of HV cable? The supply can be remotely controlled, you can mount it close to your fusor and control it at a distance. I believe you can order cable with a CA11 on one end and no connector on the other. For the spellman supply, 2 pairs of the 4 pins are connected in parallel, (HV and fil) and (fil return). Since they pot the cables and pins you probably would want the cables with 4 conductors.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
William Kelly

Post by William Kelly »

Andrew Seltzman wrote:Keep in mind that fusion rate increases exponentially with voltage, if you have a 70kV supply, I'd recommend running 70kV. Any reason why you want 12ft of HV cable? The supply can be remotely controlled, you can mount it close to your fusor and control it at a distance. I believe you can order cable with a CA11 on one end and no connector on the other. For the spellman supply, 2 pairs of the 4 pins are connected in parallel, (HV and fil) and (fil return). Since they pot the cables and pins you probably would want the cables with 4 conductors.
Well, Some of the parts that I plan to buy and I think have are only rated for around 30-40kv. Namely the Huntington 2.75" viewport as well as the MDC power feedthrough. Also, my chamber is made out of all solid titanium(if this is of any help). Titanium and steel, i believe, become saturated with x-rays and neutrons at 30kv and they start to diffuse out of the chamber becoming harmful to anyone in proximity. Also if i were to get a higher rated power feedthrough from MDC they cost thousands (literally) more. Those are just some of the reasons. As for the conductors and pins and pairs you speak of I quite honestly have no idea what you are talking about not being well versed in the subject. However, I would like to buy a cable from you(I said 12 feet just in case but if you think less, that should be alright) and if you or anyone else would be able to connect the cable to the MDC ceramic feedthrough for me, for a little extra if you need, that would be great as I am by no means an electrician and have no intention of being electrocuted. Thanks!
- William
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

For the DXM power supplies there is no point in having a cable with more than two conductors since the pins are internally connected as pairs, i.e. C and S are connected internally and L and G are connected internally.
Some of William's comments suggest a level of unfamiliarity such as to constitute a significant safety hazard. I would strongly advise that he find a qualified mentor before proceeding much further. This stuff can be lethal.
William Kelly

Post by William Kelly »

Dan Knapp wrote:For the DXM power supplies there is no point in having a cable with more than two conductors since the pins are internally connected as pairs, i.e. C and S are connected internally and L and G are connected internally.
Some of William's comments suggest a level of unfamiliarity such as to constitute a significant safety hazard. I would strongly advise that he find a qualified mentor before proceeding much further. This stuff can be lethal.
Thanks for your concern! I do have a mentor from PPPL (Princeton Plasma Physics Lab). He also told me about such risks. We concluded that I would build the reactor as I was, however, at the end I will hire an electrician to examine the fusor before any operation.

-William
Last edited by William Kelly on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Seltzman

Some more notes on the operation of these supplies:

1) The connector is only rated to full voltage when mated, it will likely flash over if you run the supply up to 70kV for testing without a connector installed. Up to 10kV is fine without a connector for sure. The matlab code that I uploaded should by default ramp the supply up to 5kv then back down to 0.

2) You will need to jumper pins 11-12 in the J2 control IO port to enable the interlock for HV output.

3) These supplies may produce an overvoltage error when running unloaded at very low setpoint voltage(<1kV) or when running unloaded and given rapid decrease in set point voltage

4) The supplies that I received were pretty dusty inside, you may want to blow yours out before running it at full output
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
William Kelly

Post by William Kelly »

Andrew Seltzman wrote:Some more notes on the operation of these supplies:

1) The connector is only rated to full voltage when mated, it will likely flash over if you run the supply up to 70kV for testing without a connector installed. Up to 10kV is fine without a connector for sure. The matlab code that I uploaded should by default ramp the supply up to 5kv then back down to 0.

2) You will need to jumper pins 11-12 in the J2 control IO port to enable the interlock for HV output.

3) These supplies may produce an overvoltage error when running unloaded at very low setpoint voltage(<1kV) or when running unloaded and given rapid decrease in set point voltage

4) The supplies that I received were pretty dusty inside, you may want to blow yours out before running it at full output
Taking this into consideration, would anyone be able to make a cable with 2-4 conductors and attach it to an MDC ceramic feedthrough(http://www.mdcvacuum.com/DisplayProduct ... 1&g=m61034). Again, I will be willing to cover the cost of the purchase of the feedthrough, the CA11 cable, as well as any assembly, shipping and construction costs one might feel reasonable. Thanks as always!

-William
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

William and others....Please stop quoting the post just above the one you are responding to. It is really rather stupid. We have gone over that many times before, here. It is naturally assumed that we can all read and have read the preceding post. Try just simply replying in future. You will find we have a higher order of folks here who do not need, nor desire, to read the same thing twice over and over again.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

FYI - Mine was DOA out of the box. I took off the top panel and found the line in fuses are missing. I'm starting to worry these are repair shop scrap. Once I get some fuses I guess I'll know for sure.
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

One of mine was also DOA, even though I can hear a humming noise emanating from somewhere. I checked both input fuses and they were fine, and power was going to the board, but nothing. The one that works came on immediately; the Ethernet connector blinked a few times, the fan came on, and the power indicator lit up. There are no obvious burnouts or discolorations on the top board, and the DOA one was pretty clean inside.
Last edited by Liam David on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew Seltzman

Both mine were Ok and tested good with the 5kv ramp(haven't done a full voltage/power test yet), although one is very dusty inside and both have some dents in the case. I found a broken piece of a 0.05ohm shunt resistor in one of mine, though it's apparently not from my supply, it must have gotten in through the fan grate.

Everyone check your supplies for operation, remember there is a right of return on these supplies if they don't work.

For those with DOA supplies, what problems are they having?

For those with good supplies, please test them(with the matlab program if possible) and report in.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

I haven't received mine yet but will test it on arrival.
Andrew, could you give us a little more information on using your Matlab driver. I've never used Matlab to drive an instrument, have only used it for computational applications. I assume your driver has to run under Matlab, correct?
Do you need to do anything with port setup before running, or does the driver code take care of that? Any further advice would be appreciated.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”