Need HV connector for Spellman XLF

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Paul W Fontana

Re: Need HV connector for Spellman XLF

Post by Paul W Fontana »

Here's what I came up with. 1/4" o.d. copper tubing for the tip, soldered to conductor of 50kV-insulated wire, inserted through 5/8" o.d. x 1/2" i.d. Delrin tube long enough to stick out of the socket about 3-1/2", tip epoxied to the end with (2) 1/4 sae washers for centering and mechanical support. Then four layers of electrical tape at the front and back ends to make a snug fit in the socket (and a little more epoxy because it wasn't quite as strong as I wanted it). I'm liking this copper-tube-to-banana-plug system so well that I think I will use it for my other HV connections as well - simple, inexpensive, and works great. I already put a banana plug at the other end of this cable.

After testing I regret using the eBay 50kV cable rather than the RG-8. There's no shield, and the insulation crackled with a little corona at voltages above about 35 kV when probed with my grounding stick. I'll wrap some grounded wire around it for safety.

-- pwf
Attachments
homemade Spellman XLF HV connector.jpg
homemade Spellman XLF cable tip.jpg

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”