50kV Supply

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Mark Rowley

Re: 50kV Supply

Post by Mark Rowley » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:18 am

His question is also not pertinent to this thread and furthermore the answer he seeks is easily found in the FAQ's. Providing he complies with the registration rules, answering his question will serve to skew / hijack the linear flow of Joe's post.

Mark Rowley

seamus sullivan

Re: 50kV Supply seamus sullivan

Post by seamus sullivan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:42 pm

ok sorry
i have fixed that and put in my real name and my about me.

what should my power supply be rated at?
how many mA and kv should it be set at?

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Fusion power supplies are not set at any voltage or current. Instead they must be totally variable from 0 volt to a maximum determined by the user. Demo fusors are easily run by oil burner ignition transformers controlled by a variac. They are typically rated at 10kv @ 20 to28 ma. A neon sign transformer is more often used in the 12kv to 15kv range and rated at 30ma. High voltage diodes are needed to turn this into DC.

All of this related to a demo fusor is in the FAQs which it is now obvious you have not read at all. Demo fusors do not do fusion....

Serious, real fusion fusors demand a minimum of 30kv @ 30ma capability or more. This separates the men from the boys. Top level fusors use supplies that are capable of running well over 40kv @ 30ma.
Again, all of this is in the FAQs....Read them....

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

seamus sullivan

Post by seamus sullivan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:39 pm

ok thanks for your help. i will read the FAQs. I just recently registered and don't know a lot about the site.