FUSOR.NET v4 is now LIVE!

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Andrew Robinson

FUSOR.NET v4 is now LIVE!

Post by Andrew Robinson » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Thank you everyone for your incredible patience while we undertook this massive move! This site is now officially LIVE and we welcome everyone to login and give it a try. We recognize that there are still bugs such as previous images missing from posts and we are working hard to resolve the problem, but we also realize there will be other other issues discovered as users start poking around the new platform. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we were forced to recover from a previous backup which resulted in the loss of a few days content. We do apologize for the inconvenience, but unfortunately there was no way around this. Going forward, we request that everyone PLEASE submit any issues, weird behaviors, bugs, etc. to this post! Please do NOT email Paul, Frank, Richard, or myself directly. We will look over each issue that is submitted here as they come in and act on them accordingly.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: FUSOR.NET v4 is now LIVE!

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Greetings, Fusor Enthusiasts:

It is I, "The Perfesser," who, 20-some years ago thought it would be a good idea to have a place on the Interwebs where people could explore and discuss - and build - nuclear fusion devices as conceived in the 1950s by Philo T. Farnsworth. Now, here we are, more than 20 years later, on the.... well, there have been so many iterations of this site over the decades that I think we have now officially lost count of the actual number. Andrew is saying this is v4 but it might be v5. Not that it matters a whole lot.

Have you ever seen when somebody puts a whole house on a trailer and moves it to a new location? That's kinda what this has been like.

It seems like such a good idea at the time. You just remove the house from its foundation, put it on a trailer, and move it to some new location.

Except that when you get to the new location, you have to build a new foundation. Then you have to restore the plumbing. And the electrical. You might need a new roof, and you need to make sure all the doors and windows haven't become misaligned. Etc. etc. until you get to the point where you start to think..."maybe we should have just built a new house...."

Except, of course, building a new house was not an option in this instance. There is too much incalculably valuable information locked in this database to even consider starting over.

The move was necessary because our prior ISP, Media Temple, has been charging onerous "GPU Overage" charges - several hundred dollars a month over the past few months. The source of the alleged over-use has been diligently and assiduously traced by Andrew Robinson and Frank Sanns, but despite their most valiant efforts, the source of the overage – probably some bot from Russia that thinks we have discovered the key to the Energy Source of The Future - could never be fully eliminated. We appealed to Media Temple for their assistance, but the best we ever got out of them was "too bad, it's your problem..." and the offer of much more expensive services.

So about a month ago we arrived at "f#$% it," and decided to move our little 'nuclear football' lock, stock, and barrel from Media Temple to GoDaddy, which so far has proven much more affordable and helpful in getting the site transferred on to their servers.

Over the past several weeks, mostly (no, actually, entirely) Andrew and Frank have moved the house: they freed it from the old foundation, bundled it on to the digital trailer, hauled it across town, built a new foundation, dropped the house onto it, and then restored the plumbing and electrical. And then they started with the troubleshooting.

As with all things in this still-jalopy-phase of the digital world, everything proved to be much more mercurial and tedious than originally hoped. But as of this writing, the job is about 98% done, and done to the extent that we can open the front door again and invite everybody in to the parlor to resume the discussion.

Pardon us while we hang the last of the drapes.

All that said, please, please, please join me in extending a Grand Round of Thanks to Andrew Robinson and Frank Sanns for the yeoman's work they have done over the past couple of weeks to get the site relocated. I was not much help because my own web-dev skills went into arrested development around the year 2000. But Andrew and Frank are so well-versed in the vagaries of databases and scripts etc. that they were able to get the job done (though I also understand that what little remained of Frank's hair is now gone from pulling it all out during the process).

FYI, as this process wrapped up we pitched Richard Hull on setting aside some time at the HEAS on Oct 5 to have as "Forum About the Fusor Forums." Nothing definite yet but details will be posted when their nailed down. Stay tuned.

Now then.

Let's get back to slamming hydrogen isotopes together, shall we?

Thanks,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 pm

A big "Thank You!" from me for fixing, and upgrading the site, Frank and Andrew! We all benefit from your noble efforts!

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Many thanks to everyone involved! Job well done

Mark Rowley

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:14 pm

Looking good so far! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The avatar pictures and default signatures seem to have made it through. Mine is about due for a change.
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:21 pm

The avatars is one of the things Frank and Andrew struggled with, or, at least, had to put some deliberate time and effort in to. Glad to see it worked out. One of the remaining issues is thumbnails for the various images that have been posted over the years. That's the next, and possibly last, item on the punch list.
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Thank you very much for your hard work! It's greatly appreciated!

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:02 pm

I found perhaps the first bug! But it has to do with the way cookies are set. When I log in from the usual machine that use for the fusor.net forum, it accepts my login, but I cannot see new messages, and I cannot post a reply, it thinks I am not logged in. The upper right still shows "Register" and "Login". I posted this from a computer that has never connected to the fusor.net forum and it behaves correctly, with my name and icon shown at the upper right. Clearing the cache and cookies in the other computer's web browser fixed the problem there.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:57 am

I also had that problem.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:26 am

Everyone that is having issues with their sessions, I suggest you use clear out as much stuff related to old site as possible in your browser. Use the delete cookie link at bottom of page, delete cache from browsers, close them out, etc. Give yourself a fresh start and see if the issue returns. Also keep in mind, there is a time out associated with the site. I will let Frank chime in on these settings. I don't remember if we have always had this, but you should reasonably also expect your session to time out after x number of minutes. I know this doesn't directly relate to the issue at hand, but I wanted to mention it now.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!