How did you get your vacuum chamber?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
dhald

How did you get your vacuum chamber?

Post by dhald »

Are you using the *optimal* spherical vacuum chamber or are you using a cross/tee instead? If you are using a spherical chamber, did you buy it online or did you make it yourself? I'm having a lot of trouble finding a chamber and I can't machine steel so I'm trying to get an idea of how other people got them.
Richard Hull

Re: How did you get your vacuum chamber?

Post by Richard Hull »

You haven't gone into the construction and vacuum FAQs! Obviously.........

All spherical chambers are constructed using preformed, ready to use SS hemispheres, easily purchased. The user must also purchase conflat rings and have the hemispheres welded to the rings. Then, the two finished up chamber halves have holes placed in them to receive the various ports and gas lines. A factory consturcted 6" chamber of this type might run well over $2,000!

The hemispheres are about $60.00 each and the rings are about $80-90 each and the rest can be done by the amateur who is handy with tools or farmed out to a local shop for welding etc. Many small accessories are purchased, used, off e-bay.

This effort is not a little diddle and dabble, $100.00 DIY. It is a true scientific achievement of the first rank and only dedicated and knowledgable amateur scientists pack the right gear to do it.

Most of the younger folks who have won in this effort have well heeled parents who are engaged all throughout the project. A winner might also be that one-in-a-million young go-getter who will not give up, money and hardship be damned.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
dhald

Post by dhald »

Thank you very much. I apologize if it appears that I didn't thoroughly peruse the FAQs- I felt like I had gone through the majority of the information. That said, I probably was a little bit hasty in making a post.
Charles Vorbach

Post by Charles Vorbach »

I'm curious, where do recommend going for $90 rings? The 8" ones I've seen on eBay have been $120-$130 and more at other surplus sites. Am I missing the great deals?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

They may have gone up. The last ones I ordered were from duniway stockroom. Prices do go up.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Daniel,

next time, please post this type of question "New User Chat Area" if you are not sure they're on FAQ and also change your username to full name (It's the rule of the forum). :)

good luck!

Jack Puntawong

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”