GAST pump and ionization gauge

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Deiter Hanbicki

GAST pump and ionization gauge

Post by Deiter Hanbicki »

Hello all,

I recently aquired a new pump system and chamber for free, my grandfather had a buisness making vacume tubes in the 80s and I unearthed his old system. I hopeing it all works, some cables are missing and I honestly have no idea what goes where. Pictures are attached below but on the pump there are two loose wires black and white I'm assuming those are power. Then two tubes i cant tell which one is exhause which is other or if they get t connected together. Then on the guage theres a white grey cable labeled TC-1 that I dont know where it goes, one 6 pin female cable ive never seen before in my life and one black cable that doesnt go anywhere and is unlabled. Theres also a power cable. I generally understand the pump but Ive never used a guage like this before and it being so old I cant find anything on it. I know these might be a newbish question but ive scoured the internet already, thanks.
Entire back panel of the guage, the grey tc1 cable has 4 wires in it.
Entire back panel of the guage, the grey tc1 cable has 4 wires in it.
The strange 6 pin
The strange 6 pin
The pump with the wires and two hoses
The pump with the wires and two hoses
Richard Hull

Re: GAST pump and ionization gauge

Post by Richard Hull »

You don't have much that is usable, I fear. The pump is absolutely inadequate (diaphram type). The gauge is old and you might not be able to acquire the demanded TC gauge tube. Sorry.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”