Cameron Key's Vacuum Construction Thread

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Deleted

Cameron Key's Vacuum Construction Thread

Post by Deleted » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 am

Hello all. Since there's a lot of home-brew work going into my vacuum system, I figured I'd make a thread to post updates and discuss. Feedback greatly appreciated!

High Vacuum and Pumping Systems
I'm currently designing a mating flange for my CVC PMC-6 diffusion pump, and I've hit an issue. Don Bowen, from here on the forums, was kind enough to find me a manual for the diff. but the information contained therein seems contradictory. The manual states on page 7 that the PMC-6 had an inner diameter of 7 inches, however, on page 41, the manual states that the very same pump uses a 6-inch O-ring. How can the O-ring be smaller than the inner diameter of the pump? It would have no surface to rest on. Does anyone know what I'm overlooking here? Thanks!
(Pump Face, dimensions are given in PDF on page 7 of the manual)

Deleted

Re: Cameron Key's Vacuum Construction Thread

Post by Deleted » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:48 am

Woops! I completely forgot to post the manual. Here it is:
http://mmrc.caltech.edu/PVD/manuals/CVC ... %20PMC.pdf

John Taylor

Re: Cameron Key's Vacuum Construction Thread

Post by John Taylor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:32 pm

I copied the CVC Diff Pump Technical Manual from this thread and posted it into the "Files" section of this Forum.