Thermocouple gauge

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Chris Bradley

Re: Thermocouple gauge

Post by Chris Bradley »

Just MHO - I would, personally, recommend newbies find themselves a nice active gauge than worry about controllers and the like.

Here's a Pirani type for $75, but they come up cheaper than this on a semi-regular basis (in Pirani, magnetron, or full-range types):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191020202898

I bought one just like this in the UK, seemingly barely used, and still in cal (!) for £10!
David Nagy

Post by David Nagy »

Ooh, that looks like a very nice gauge especially for the price. But what is that Ethernet port looking socket on the back?
In some sort of crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.

J. Robert Oppenheimer
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

It is a standard RJ45 connector, so you can find yourself a regular network cable and cut it to access pin-outs. Do a search here and I have posted the pin-out config for this type of gauge.

It's one reason why these things make so much sense - you can find RJ45 connectors thrown away in the back of most IT centres, whereas the cables for many older type gauges are often the most expensive thing to find.
David Nagy

Post by David Nagy »

so could you have it display data on something like a raspberry pi?
In some sort of crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.

J. Robert Oppenheimer
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

You get a voltage output which is the pressure reading. Any way you can convert a voltage signal to a reading is fine. I just use a voltmeter, and get used to what that translates to in pressure.
David Nagy

Post by David Nagy »

i see

J. Robert Oppenheimer

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”