Flange type on Diffusion Pump

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Brian Glen

Flange type on Diffusion Pump

Post by Brian Glen »

Hi, can anyone tell me what kind of flange is on the top of this diffusion pump? It appears to be an Edwards EO6. It's OD is 7" and has 12 bolt holes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diffusion-pump- ... 3f2694279b

Thanks,

Brian
Richard Hull

Re: Flange type on Diffusion Pump

Post by Richard Hull »

I want to say an ASA flange but they are 7.5 inch outside flange diameter with a 3" standard bore. the bore on this punp looks like 4+ inches?

This could be a special flange made by Edwards. If you get it, you may have to cobble up your own mating flange system.

Ricahrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Brian Glen

Post by Brian Glen »

Ok, thanks, I'll probably cut a CF half nipple down to size and weld that on.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

I don't see how welding is, at all, the option.

It is a big flat flange. Just find another flange about the same size and clamp them together with a gasket between. If the other side you find doesn't have a standard gasket to go with it, just cut one from a rubber sheet.

I'm beginning to think that the word 'improvise' and its meaning is now no longer taught in schools.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Hi Chris

The Pump is an Edwards EO4, just too check this the pump throat should be 5", I have found a page from the manual for this model that
may help you with diamentions etc.

Edwards used to sell a baffle isolation valve to go on top of the Pump flange, see if you can find an H7L4 Baffle from somwhere.

Robin Whyte

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”