Repairing an Edwards E2M8 pump ?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Jack Puntawong

Repairing an Edwards E2M8 pump ?

Post by Jack Puntawong »

About 2 months ago, I purchased a used E2M8 pump for $200. However, when I run the pump, the pressure drops to only about 1 torr ( not nearly sufficient for a diffusion pump). So I went to a local vacuum pump repair shop and asked them to repair this pump for me. They check the pump and told me that it would cost around $600 to repair the pump + 3 months warranty. When I asked them about the kit that they used, they told me that its a "minor repair kit". So I check out the kit from the website and it turns out to be $125 only.

http://www.pchemlabs.com/product.asp?pid=1902

However, I don't have any experience rebuilding the pump so I'm asking for a consultant from you guys. Is it that hard to rebuild a pump ? Do they usually come up with any manual ? Is there any risk involve to repair this pump ? How long does it take to rebuild one ?

Thanks,

Jack Puntawong
Jim Kovalchick

Re: Repairing an Edwards E2M8 pump ?

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

About a year ago, our Edwards RV 3 had a vane break causing the shaft to seize breaking the motor coupling. I ordered a new coupling and a rebuild kit, which is mostly new vanes and gaskets. The kit came in a day, and we rebuilt in a couple hours that evening. It's not a huge chore, but make sure you have the repair manual and diagrams showing how it goes together. Use the opportunity to change the oil.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I rebuild my RV8 with a kit from duniway stockroom. Not hard to install, just keep everything clean. Also good time to clean everything inside, I used an ultrasonic cleaner.
derekm

Post by derekm »

Have you done the flushing thing as shown in the FAQs on vacuum pumps to get rid of the the crud.

There may be nothing wrong with it at all

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”