Diffusion pump grounding

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Carl Smith

Diffusion pump grounding

Post by Carl Smith »

I am replacing the 30 year old heater wire in my diffusion pump with new heater wire that I ordered online. Where does the grounding wire go in a diffusion pump? Is it grounded to the pumps metal body? If not where does the grounding wire go? Also I can anyone identify if my diffusion pump is a varian M-2. It takes a 6 diameter inch ASA inlet and the O-ring is about 4 inches in diameter
Jeff Robertson

Re: Diffusion pump grounding

Post by Jeff Robertson »

Hey Carl,

I had to wire my diffusion pump as well. Do you have a multimeter on hand? Test for the resistance between the top flange of the diff pump and different areas on the pump body. If you find a place on the pump body that is in electrical contact with the top flange, such as a screw or something, I would secure the grounding wire there. For me, the pump body was electrically insulated for the most part, but there were three screws near the base of the pump which I found were electrically connected to the pump inlet. I simply looped the grounding wire around one of these screws and then screwed it in nice and snug.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Diffusion pump grounding

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I know little on fusors (and learned all I do know here) and what is best for grounding components so what I am saying just applies to average systems.

I have a ground wire connected directly to my diffusion pump. Since my DP has only a two wire plug this was the safest solution. Your situation is similar - just add a ground wire to the DP case and run the DP heater ground directly to that. I use both the power outlet "green" wire for one of my grounds and a wire connected to a metal pipe that is part of my water system (and filled with water) as a backup/overload drain. This goes to a well - city systems may not work like this.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”