Pfeiffer Turbo Pump Question

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Dennis P Brown

Pfeiffer Turbo Pump Question

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello,
since my turbo pump controller failed, I obtained a replacement controller (a TCP 040.) The trouble is, my power cable cannot power the new controller; the issue appears to be the jumper wire arrangement on the back (my unit and the replacement unit not only have a different arrangement of wiring (currently) but also have a slightly different connector buses.)

Does anyone have a Pfeiffer turbo pump manual for a TCP 040 unit and can copy the jumper wire page(s) so I can figure this problem out. (the TCP 121 manual does not cover this - I have both a TCP 121 controller (barrowed, and copy of that manual. It is no help.)

Most appreciate any help on this matter!
Dennis P Brown

Re: Pfeiffer Turbo Pump Question

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I have finally found some information of the TCP pins and jumpers (not sure if the jumper info is valid but the power pins are correct.) The trouble is, this still does not enable/provide power to the newer replacement control unit! Something else needs to be jumpered, or something is jumpered wrong? My old unit had one and three shorted together, and four and six shorted together. The new pump differs in that four is jumpered (shorted) to five (and at least that agrees with the data sheet I have.) But I guess my orginal unit had other control/feeds (relays, I think) connected in the power cable/connector head.

One thing that I find an issue - my old TCP 040 has fourteen jumpers on a single double row bar and the replacement unit has twenty jumpers on two seperate bars. I guess a later model differs ... .
Attachments
TCP040 Pin Outs.pdf
(35.01 KiB) Downloaded 3783 times
Pfeiffer_TCP-270_versus_040_300_310_AC_Cable_Drawings.pdf
(18.36 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Talked to Pfeiffer and no manual to be had - they are e-mailing a page or two of diagrams that they found but the bad news is it looks to apply to my non-operating unit. Hopefully this may help. I'll post if it is useful so others can access it.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

I had similar issues with Pfeiffer pumps.

I moved on from those problems, having secured a further Varian pump and controller, so the matter of Pfeiffer turbos and leads remains a future project to look into - as there is now a pile of Pfeiffer controllers, pumps and leads remain piled in a box awaiting further deliberations....

Where I did get to, however, is that I contacted the service centre here in UK directly and they did try to be as helpful as poss. They did try to find me suitable leads, but the basic issue is that 'not all Pfeiffer leads are made equal'. Despite having the same connectors at either ends, it seems there are all manner of configurations.

Well, this post probably isn't very helpful to you, but at least it confirms that, indeed, if you plug a controller into a pump with a random lead and it doesn't work, then it may be the lead at issue rather than a fault with the controller or pump. Good luck!!....
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Thanks and actually, your post does help a lot. I now realize that even Pfeiffer had too many circuit changes with each new pump (but same model) to keep track of so the manuals were only printed for each special configuration - so there are no generic manuals and that explains why no one has those puppies available!

I will continue to post any details I find to help everyone with this strange series of pumps. Hope my current diagrams provide some assistance to others. I think the power cable connection is fairly standard but then again, who knows? Pfeiffer most certainly does not!
RobertMendelsohn

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

I know this thread is 9 years old, but I'd like to post what configuration I've used to successfully run a TCP 040 in case there are others encountering this issue (this is the only thread on the internet about this...):

Power: ground to a6, neutral to a2, hot to b1. I used female spade connectors to keep things tidy.
Jumpers: on the screw terminal posts, jumper [1 to 3], and [4 to 5].

I can confirm that this configuration works and successfully spun up my TPH040 to maximum speed in <3 minutes.
I'd recommend visually inspecting the internal electronics; I discovered a relay was loose AND a fuse was missing.
Anyone having an issue with their TCP 040 is welcome to PM me for help.

Sincerely,

Robert

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”