Richards valve???

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
hjerald1

Richards valve???

Post by hjerald1 »

I need an adapter for the "Richards valve" in my HPGe detector in order to renew the vacuum. Attached is a picture. The brass thingy is apparently a Richards valve. Did the Google thing, then tried ebay, and searched the Forums and found nothing that was of particuar help.

First.... anyone know what the valve is?
Second.... Is it known by a better name?
Third....what about the adaptor? More than one size?
Fourth....where can I get the adaptor?

Thanks,

Jerry
Attachments
Richards Valve.JPG
Richards Valve.JPG (19.56 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
rheil

Re: Richards valve???

Post by rheil »

Jerry,

I think the valve adapter you are looking for is similar to one manufactured by Kadel Engineering. It is known as an operator, and there are some pictures on their web site (Kadel.com) on the Vacuum & Valves tab. The vacuum adapter also contains the required fitting for closing the valve after the required vacuum has been attained.

I have recently obtained an old ADC 403 detector which has another version of a Kadel valve, similar I think to the one on Carl's detector. I debated making an operator, but I will probably just replace it (the valve) with something easier to use in my effort to test the detector response.

Bob H.
hjerald1

Re: Richards valve???

Post by hjerald1 »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info. It helped greatly and I learned some stuff!
Unfortunately the operator I need is apparently a specialty unit built specifically for my detector. I finally had to order it from the original manufacturer with the associated scalping price .

Now on to the vacuum renewal step.

Jerry

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”