Hoses for vacuum system.

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Nikelopez

Hoses for vacuum system.

Post by Nikelopez »

Hello,

I have a vacuum pump with a KF25 inlet, so I'm planning on welding a KF25 half nipple flange onto the chamber as well. However, I am debating over which type of hose to get. I have two options; 1) I attain a KF25 stainless flexible hose or, 2) I could get a KF25 Flexible PVC wire wrapped hose. I am thinking I should go with the stainless hose for the reason that it would be more reliable, in terms of leakage, etc. However, due to the fact that the PVC hose is more economical. Has anybody, used either type of these hoses. And if so, have you encountered any pros and cons with the hose. Any recommendations?

Thanks In Advance,
Nike
Carl Willis

Re: Hoses for vacuum system.

Post by Carl Willis »

Metal hoses permit cleaner vacuum and are the preferred solution for high vacuum applications, provided they are clean. Unfortunately, owing to the corrugations and large surface area, they are a bastard to get clean if they ever become internally contaminated. Be wary of second-hand metal hoses. LDS Vacuum often has good deals on new metal hoses for universities (and other bona fide students).

Reinforced vinyl hoses outgas, but as you noted, they are more economical. These are fine for roughing turbos or diff pumps. They should work acceptably to connect demo fusors to a mechanical pump.

I use both kinds of hose: metal for high vacuum, plastic for roughing lines as discussed.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Nikelopez

Re: Hoses for vacuum system.

Post by Nikelopez »

Thanks Carl,

I've decided to go with the metal hose. Sure, its going to set me back, on money. But hopefully it will pay off.

-Nike

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”