Turbomolecular Pump Question

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Drakkith

Turbomolecular Pump Question

Post by Drakkith »

Hey all. I've got a TMP-50 turbomolecular pump for my fusor but I have no idea what to use to connect it to a vacuum system. Could use a little help.
John Futter

Re: Turbomolecular Pump Question

Post by John Futter »

Jake
follow my link that i put in the thread about "simple turbo pump controller" as that thread is for two phase pumps you will need to follow my link as the TMP50 is three phase
Drakkith

Post by Drakkith »

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear in my last post. I have a pump controller for it already, but I don't know how to physically connect the pump to a vacuum system. I'm new at all this stuff so if it's a simple thing to buy a connection for it then I apologize. =)
Chris Trent

Post by Chris Trent »

It is a simple yet complex question,

Simple in that the turbo pump goes between your backing pump and the chamber...
Complex in that each Fusor is different, and we don't know what you have to work with or want to achieve.

Fortunately this has been addressed thoroughly on these forums and in other literature if you do some searching and reading. The manuals for these pumps have lots of good information as well. Make sure you have a deep understanding of everything involved before you fire it up. Once you have that understanding then you will be able to answer this question yourself better than any of us could for you.

Turbo pumps are also finicky beasts, I have a crashed one sitting on a shelf as a mute witness of past failure. Don't rush things, or you may end up with a similar trophy.

-Chris
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nothing beats the simplicity of the diff pump or its overall indestructable nature with no moving parts and no controller needed, it is the pump of choice for the amateur vacuumist working in fusion. We have little need for a laboratory grade, ultra pure vacuum often afforded by the turbo when actually in operation in D-D fusion.

Still, if one comes your way ultra cheap with full controller and cabling, it is worth the changeover, especially if you want to do other experiments outside of fusion that demand the kind of vacuum it provides.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”