More cheap turbo pumps on eBay

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Anders M.

More cheap turbo pumps on eBay

Post by Anders M. »

Hello. New guy here, though those of you also active on 4hv might know me.

I have been keeping an eye on the cheap Pfeiffer TPH-055 turbo pumps that were available on eBay until recently, but I was too slow, and didn't buy one before the guy ran out of them. All hope is not lost though, as he now has a listing for a different kind of turbo pumps for the same price. These are of the type Turbovac 50 from Leybold, and the auction can be found here http://cgi.ebay.com/LEYBOLD-TURBOVAC-50 ... 563f771af5 . My question is how well these compare to the TPH-055, and if they are the right kind to get for fusor work.

I have compared the datasheets, and they seem quite similar in specifications, and neither of them have drag/compound stages. But I might be overlooking something, as this is not really my field of expertise.

Best regards.
John Futter

Re: More cheap turbo pumps on eBay

Post by John Futter »

Good pumps single pole 3 Phase motor typically runs at around 18 watts when at speed at good vacuum.
The controllers for these NT10 NT13 etc are extremely flakey. Die for no reason at the drop of a hat.
I rolled my own controller I have posted this on Coultersmithing,com.
These pumps are happy running horizontal
Linda Haile

Post by Linda Haile »

I've an NT20 controller, no idea if it works or not. Is there any way I can test it without connecting it to a pump?

It looks ok inside (no obvious burnt out components)

I've not done any reaearch yet to find out what pumps it is compatible with.

If it is dead and I can't fix it I'll strip it for components. There's a huge toroidal transformer in it.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Ummm, "Lyn".... did you not get an e-mail from me today?

Maybe check with whoever's e-mail address you signed up with.

The ice is cracking, buddy.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Troy Peterson

Post by Troy Peterson »

Hey John,

I may be blind... Often I am... But I can't seem to find the controller on Coultersmithing.com. Do you have a link or know where I can look specifically for it?

Cheers,
Troy.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Troy

try here
http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/v ... ?f=12&t=83

hope the link works
enjoy
JohnWaskey

Post by JohnWaskey »

These pumps look promising. I've been doing a bit of fiscal juggling around the purchase of this pump and would like to run it by you guys if possible. So, assuming the pump works:
Pump ~ $100 (ebay)
Turbotronik NT13 ~ $245 (ebay)
cable ~ $295!!!?? (pchemlabs)

Total: $640

Questions: Is it possible to make / jury rig a cable for this with basic supplies? The price for a new cable is absurd.

John F - What would you estimate the total cost for your controller to come to? I have limited experience putting something like this together but have friends that could help me construct it.

I'm really just trying to sniff out all the associated cost in picking up this pump and weighing it against other options. Thanks!
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I ordered one tonight. Someone picked up 10 of them from the seller so I figured I better act. The connector on the bottom looks to be a pretty common connector, probably made by Hirschmann. I think I have one and if it does fit I will post the details.

Anyone else pick one up. As of typing they have 2 left.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

John

The parts for the controller should cost you around US$100 the most expensive being a 0 -35 -70 volt secondary transformer the IR control chip is around US$15 from RS components but maybe cheaper from dodgykey.
From my experience the NT13 /NT10 controllers are a crock of bovine fertilizer and give up for little reason. I have 9 dead ones @ work and they are unbelievably complex.
As for the connectors on the back of the controller ---can not remember if the NT13 has the circular special (leybold) connector or the linear din type high power connector.
Yes the pump connector is a standard Hirschman relay connector worth a few $
FWIW my controller has been runing 24/7 on my SEM electron gun for 14 months and the motor runs cooler and does not have a fan (would upset pics if a fan was running) this is not possible with the NT series controllers.

PS the reason there are so few pumps now is we bought ten
JohnWaskey

Post by JohnWaskey »

Thanks for the info. I did end up purchasing one of these TMP50s and it should arrive on the 6th. As it's going to take me a good deal of time to stumble though the construction of the controller, I'd be interested to hear whether or not the pumps you receive are in working condition.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I got one too and am going to work on the controller. I will probably end up having 3 of the boards made.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Got mine today. Absolutely filthy, at least on the outside. They wiped it down and I can still smell the cleaner. Something like simple green. The rubber fan mounts have degraded to nothing.

Rotor turns very smoothly though.

What kind of use would a turbo see where is gets covered in black goo? If I cap the fore and the intake would it be safe to put it in an ultrasonic?
JohnWaskey

Post by JohnWaskey »

My pump arrived today also. Equally as filthy. The black sludge seems to be some kind of hydrocarbon. It's very greasy. Anyway, after wiping down the exterior I moved onto inspecting the rotors. The top rotor spins fine but rotor below looks to have ceased. Novice question: Am I correct in assuming this pump is DOA or are there stages in the rotor assembly that do not spin? I have included an image of the rotor in question.

Jerry - To clean the pump you might want to blank off the ports, take the fan assembly off and just wipe it down with a stack of paper towels. It worked for me but I fear it was in vein.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Nice picture, John.
Is the rotor spinning so that motion-blur hides the first stage blades?

All multistage turbines interleave rotors with stators.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/vacuum/tmpnotes.htm

About 30 years ago, at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington, they had on floor-level display an engine from a 747 airplane. Nobody had secured the shaft connecting the great big fan with the last stage of exhaust turbine. A foolish young geek reached over the museum rope & made the shaft turn by pushing on one turbine rotor blade. That required reaching between two stator blades, and could have caused a serious injury. Please don't tell.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
JohnWaskey

Post by JohnWaskey »

Ah! Thanks for the link. So from your comment and the link I'm going to assume that the part in question is actually one of the pumps stators. Fantastic.

Regarding the photograph: You're right. After setting up a small flashlight to the side I spun the first stage blades then took the picture so the part in question could be seen. I know far more about photography than vacuum systems as I'm a multimedia journalist / documentary filmmaker professionally. It's great fun but not as intellectually stimulating as I'd like sometimes. That's actually one of the reasons I've dived into building a fusor.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I contacted the seller and he is sending me another one with a return label. So I guess I will cherry pick!

Good CS if nothing else. Though the packing was rather inadequate.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Very clever John, I thought I was looking at the front rotor.
Steve.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

TMP50 pumps from leybold are three phase synchronous motors driven @ 1200Hz 3 Phase there are only four connections one is earth the otheres are are one for each phase --motor wired in Delta.
Do Not put any solvents down into the pump
It will wash the special grease out of the SiN bearings.
The pump should have a very free rotor ie turn the pump body the rotor should stay perfectly still
for a pic of iinternal bits check out this thread on this site
http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/v ... f=12&t=171
JohnWaskey

Post by JohnWaskey »

If anyone else is interested there are more $99 TMP50s up: http://cgi.ebay.com/LEYBOLD-TURBOVAC-50 ... 5640317bc5.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I did get my replacement pump yesterday. Much cleaner. Newer too. Dated 2006.

Packing still sucked.
Drakkith

Post by Drakkith »

I just purchased one myself. First item bought for my future fusor.
omegalab

Post by omegalab »

Got mine last week. Here are some pictures: http://www.omegalabs.eu/en/html/turbomo ... _pump.html
Is it a problem, if the top rotor's edge has an up-down movement when I rotate it with my hand? Will the centrifugal force stabilize this motion at rotational speed?

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”