Veeco diffusion pumps

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
fpg

Veeco diffusion pumps

Post by fpg »

reasently found these diffusion pumps on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/P65618-Lot-2-Veeco- ... 5ad8a9c026

Just wonder if anyone have any experience with this kind of pump and are they any good?.
Linda Haile

Re: Veeco diffusion pumps

Post by Linda Haile »

These should be ideal for the average fusor. They are about as simple as they get, being air cooled.
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

ditto..

I agree with Lyn, these should clean up and work well, as long as they have decent air circulation, hassle free without water cooling.

Just make sure that they have the baffles inside, as it can't be seen on the picture.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Linda Haile

Post by Linda Haile »

They will need a good clean, acetone, IPA. Getting the two means you should be OK for spares, but these are pretty indestructible anyway.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I have bought quite a bit of stuff from these guys. Recently got a new 2 into 1 800um fiber cable that will combine my two 40w fiber coupled laser diodes to one output. Could be fun!

One thing good about them they do pack well using foam in place packing.
fpg

Post by fpg »

I won the auction!

Now I only hope that the vulcano dust disappears from europe so the pumps can arrive by plane.
dbrown

Post by dbrown »

Can't say one way or the other how well they will work but I have used a number of water-cooled units and really liked them. I might suggest that you use a small fan to cool the fins - DF's pumping efficiency depends highly on the ability to convert the vapor back to liquid. Also, I fully agree with the previous posters cleaning method – very good choice of chemicals for cleaning old DF oil out (very safe chemicals solvents, too!)

That said, remember you don’t know what the original person pumped so assume the worst and treat the waste liquids from the pump as full of toxic heavy metals or other bad guys. That is, work outside, put the waste into containers that you throw away, and use gloves.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”