Varian versus Alcatel (Adixen) controllers.

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Chris Bradley

Varian versus Alcatel (Adixen) controllers.

Post by Chris Bradley »

I have come to realise that the Varian V60 pump/controller has exactly the same connector as the Alcatel 20/40 (thus, the Adixen 31) pump. It's a keyed 6 way connector, yet fits exactly.

Does anyone know if these controllers just co-incidentally using exactly the same plugs, or whether there is some sort of standardisation going on here?
John Futter

Re: Varian versus Alcatel (Adixen) controllers.

Post by John Futter »

Chris
Use your multimeter on the pumps
if the same 3 (normally)pins are connected to gether by a few ohms and they have inductance (some multimeters measure this) than these are the motor windings.

other pins = earth
and the last two might be a NTC thermistor to measure motor temp
or a programming resistor so the controller knows what pump is connected ala Leybold
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Thanks John, yes I'll try to measure LCR characteristics between pins (and to chassis), though I was also thinking that perhaps this particular plug dictates voltage/frequency standards, e.g. 50V@1200Hz, or whatever the phase drivers run at. Seems peculiar that they have 'exactly' the same key-way slots in the plug!

So, really, all that is in these [earlier] pumps are the windings that the pins connect to? I don't understand why the controllers are so expensive! I'm sure I might be able to knock one up in short order!

For reference purposes here (e.g. to confirm or otherwise if you might be able to mix and match varian and alcatel) I will report back...
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Chris
The voltage doesn't matter the current x voltage does ie burnt out motor windings.
most controllers give a running watts max ie 39 watts (leybold TMP50) this is the max before the controller shuts down after some time. The same pump under normal conditions draws around 13 watts, but during acceleration the controller provides more than a 100 watts.
But if the watts input doesn't reduce it goes out on fault ( the controller isn't that bright so it does it via current vs freq).

The controller is dumb, the wires as in my earlier reply give it a heads up as to what is connected ie the resistance of the thermistor or resistor ( ie it may measure temp or it is a fixed value that tells the controller what pump is connected Leybold 150 /360 vs Leyblod NT 150 controller)

have a measurement session and then if it makes sense connect the pump to the controller and see if it goes out on fault this assumes that you have done the afore mentioned measurements and all appears right.
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

I would hold out only the faintest hope that these would interchange, some hope because there's a lot of rebranding and so on that does happen in this business. In a high volume business there is some standardization of connectors, but even there not perfect -- think of all the things you see RCA or 1/8" phone connectors used for -- or how many wall warts use the same plug and jack for very different things that don't interoperate. In this low volume business, who knows?

Turbo drivers don't just blow out a fixed frequency from startup, they ramp frequency, or the thing wouldn't be able to start (think synchronous or stepping motor). You have to start out low frequency, something the rotor can do, and ramp upwards as the thing gradually accelerates. Either they are using back EMF on the motor windings or a hall sensor to make this possible -- your basic brushless DC motor more or less.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

I'll just add some graphics to this. These are the female plug off the Varian V60 controller and the male socket off the Adixen.

Unfortunately, they aren't immediately compatible, but once the nice chap from Adixen gets back to me with the operating parameters of the 20/40 then I'll judge if it would be possible to make up a patch lead to adapt it.

The Varian's induction coils are fed by pins B, C and D with 54V up to 1200Hz. The Alcatel's induction coils are fed on pins D, E and F. Shame.

The Varian has a PTC resistor on A and F. E is an earth line. The other Alcatel pins are not so straightforward. I'll hope for some more info.

Does anyone know if this connector type is a 'standard' sort that can be otherwise purchased as a general consumable part?
Attachments
varian_60_male_socket.jpg
varian_60_male_socket.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
varian_60_fem_plug.jpg
varian_60_fem_plug.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Its a pretty typical ITT Cannon plug.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Many thanks... duly identified... (and turns out a single plug is more to buy new than I paid for the turbo itself!)
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

From what I gather from the sparkies at work these connectors are no longer used.

The bloke who 'may' have some obsolete connectors stashed away is on holiday, probably til after Christmas.

We do have seven pin connectors (similar, but with a centre terminal) but I don't know if they could be fitted.

Probably not a lot of use, but I did ask.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Jerry's info was the info I needed: RS appear to stock them. 40 quid a pop...

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=0494626

I'm sure it is the right quality level for robustness to avoid warranty claims from ham-fistedness, but for my app, I'd prefer to bodge the connections with ferrule crimps than pay that!!

(I've no reason to jeopardise the V60 setup just at the moment, and risk overloading the controller. The V60 has twice the pumping speed of the Alcatel.)
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Even though I dont deal in Quid that sounds a bit high. But not by too much. They are a competitor to the Amphenol style connectors and those suckers are usually about $40 plus a piece, more depending on the accessories you choose for them.
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

If you are interested in parting with the Alcatel, Chris, let me know.

(Should I have posted this in trading post?)

Building a controller will be quite a challenge.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”