Buying Vacuum Components From Big Companies

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Matthew_Tarling

Buying Vacuum Components From Big Companies

Post by Matthew_Tarling »

I have recently been looking to buy just a few parts for my vacuum system: a nw40 Blank flange as well as the associated clamp and o-ring. I tried looking on eBay, but no success in finding a single seller from whom to buy these three things. And buying from different individuals amounts to large shipping fees. I attempted to contact several companies for quotes. (BOC Edwards, Varian, Alcatel) I was either turned down, or given quotes that seemed unreasonable. (35$ shipping seems a little steep for their cheapest rate). Where do you guys go to buy small quantities of vacuum fittings?

Thanks,

Matthew
Carl Willis

Re: Buying Vacuum Components From Big Companies

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Matthew,

I tend to use LDS Vacuum (www.lds-vacuum.com) for the basics (flange blanks, nipples, and so forth). Sometimes they have great deals on surplus or overstock parts also.

Duniway Stockroom (www.duniway.com) is often a good source for used components (such as vacuum valves or pumps).

Kurt J. Lesker (www.lesker.com) probably has the widest range of new vacuum hardware for any one-stop shop. They tend to be anywhere from a little to a lot more expensive than other outlets, but if you have a big comprehensive order they might be the best option.

More specialized or expensive stuff I look for in surplus stores first, before turning to eBay.

Good luck.

Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Carl/Matt,

I placed an order from Lesker a couple of months ago. To my chagrin, they shipped it in two parts. Each one cost me ~$30 in shipping! Always mention ahead of time that you want your items shipped together to avoid this. It may take longer if items are on back order, but Lesker is pretty fast overall.

Just my 2 cents.
Dave
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Matt -

(Edited to add URLs and correct names)

Add to the list already given these mfrs.

Nor-Cal Vacuum; [ www.n-c.com]

MDC Vacuum Products, [ www.MDC-Vacuum.com ]

Huntington Mechanical Laboratories [ www.huntvac.com]

Many times their prices will be about what the material costs would be.

I can't see why shipping is so high, unless it is for out of the country, or UPS/FEDEX next day air.

Dave Cooper
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

LDS is by far the best for small simple orders, and they tend to have sales on flanges all time. Shipping from Florida to DC usually runs me about $9

www.LDSvacuum.com

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”