I think I just scored!

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
dmills

I think I just scored!

Post by dmills »

A Brand new Varian V60 plus controller for just under £200.
Now to sort a backing pump, trap, chamber, instrumentation....

I figure a V60 should be quite sufficient for this sort of project if coupled to be chamber with a high conductance connection, and if not, well there are always differentially pumped ion sources to build!

Anyone in the UK got something like an E2M8 or so they want to sell (Also in the market for foreline and high vac instrumentation)?
Nanos

Re: I think I just scored!

Post by Nanos »

Paying by cash and picking up in person is what I recommend.
dmills

Post by dmills »

Thats the plan.
JohnCuthbert

Post by JohnCuthbert »

Call me paranoid, but you might want to take a friend along "to help carry it".
Of course you might just be very lucky- I have bought stuff on ebay at about 1% of it's "face value" and had it work perfectly.
dmills

Post by dmills »

In the end I spoke to the seller on the phone and decided it was worth a punt.

Pump, Controller and Cable arrived today and appear as described.

The controller is used (as was stated) and is a OEM module with a rather annoying mains power and control connector so a little creativity will be required there. I have however managed to track down the manual on line.

Pump has all the transport caps in place, but I think it has been stored out of its original container at some point (No hard evidence, just some scuffing and the odd mark).

The Cable is all of 20 inches long, and will probably get swiftly replaced with something a bit more reasonable.

Now, find the other bits (backing pump and some iso kf flanges) and then see if it actually runs!

Regards, Dan (Who liked the first transaction enough that he has bought a second set in the interests of having spares, and to provide for any differential pumping needs (not for fusion, there are other interesting vac. things to play with)).

I just flag it up as there may apparently be more where these came from and I am happy with the seller (at least with the first set), your mileage may of course differ.

Regards, Dan.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”