Cheap Vacuum Pump

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
MarkS

Cheap Vacuum Pump

Post by MarkS »

So I've found a relatively cheap pump from Sargent Welch brand new on their website [http://www.sargentwelch.com/product.asp ... um+Pump_E_]
the pump claims to pump down to 1 micron and at $635 its practically a steal. Yet it seems too good to be true... Has anyone else purchased this pump or have experience with a similar model pump?

-Mark
Attachments
vacuum pumps.jpg
vacuum pumps.jpg (7.97 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
philyd13

Re: Cheap Vacuum Pump

Post by philyd13 »

Hey Mark, let me know if you end up buying this pump as id be interested in buying it also if I can be assured it works fine. thanks.
MarkS

Re: Cheap Vacuum Pump

Post by MarkS »

I've decided against it just because I know that I can hit 1 micron with a rough pump/diffusion pump, and that pump might hit micron. The company sent me an email regarding how the pump's ultimate vacuum was measured:
"Dear Mark Siegel,

I talked to the manufacturer and they told me that its very hard to recreate the laboratory conditions. They used the recommended pump oil tested it with a special gage that costs more then the pump. made sure there were absolutely no leaks in the system. He said that you will have a hard time seeing the same results, and told me that we should find out what kind of application you want to use it for and we can tell you weather or not this pump will work for you and if not recommend one that will.

If you have any questions let me know.

Sargent-Welch
Customer Service
P.O. Box 4130
Buffalo, NY 14217
1-800-727-4368
1-800-676-2540 fax
http://sargentwelch.com"

-Mark

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”