What type of flange?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
longstreet

What type of flange?

Post by longstreet »

Sorry I can't take a picture of it. It looks like a conflat type flange, but it has a perfectly round (semi-cylindrical) edge where the razor edge should be. The round bit is not quite flush with the flange face. It doesn't look like ASA or any other type I see on Lesker Vacuum.

edit: I drew a crossection to give an idea of the layout.

Thanks,
Carter
Attachments
wierdFlange.png
UG!

Re: What type of flange?

Post by UG! »

i think its just a slightly different design of conflat. i have a UHV valve with those flanges thats happily mated to a normal conflat on my main vacuum chamber.

Oliver
longstreet

Post by longstreet »

Thanks, it would be nice if it will mate with normal conflat.

I also have another flange that looks like a giant QF type flange. It is 4.25" OD and about 3.75" ID. I can't find any QF/KF flange that large though. Anyone know if there is a similar looking type that has flanges this large?

Thanks,
Carter
UG!

Post by UG! »

you can get QF flanges as large as you like i think.

this site has alot of information on vacum stuff:
http://www.lesker.com
well worth a brows through, they will give help and advice to non-custommers as well i think.

there are alot of random non-standard flanges about as well though, expecialy on old or commersial stuff. i have a load of old edwaeds stuff that has flanges that look like iso, but they have an o-ring grove built in.

Oliver
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Another great resource...

http://www.mdcvacuum.com/

Request a free catalog.

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Your flange looks like a standard "curvovac" flange and the stock copper conflat seal rings should work OK. Curvovac copied the conflat to a tee but instead of a knife edge they used a hemispherical domed ring to crush into the copper.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
SteveHansen

Post by SteveHansen »

The ConFlat design was proprietary for a period of time and there were a number of attempts to make something equivalent without violating Varian's IP. That time has passed and the generic CF flange is the Varian design but without the ConFlat trademark name. The sealing mechanism of the CF is the shear force applied to the gasket by the steep edge of the knife which is a couple of degrees off vertical. Other geometries just don't work as well, especially in the larger sizes.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”