Where to get custom-made fittings?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
RobertMendelsohn

Where to get custom-made fittings?

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Hello all,

I have an odd diffusion pump fitting, and I'd like to have a custom-fabricated adapter made, as well as at least 2 other similar adapters.
Has anyone done this? Good companies to recommend? Does anyone here do this for a fee?

I wish I knew enough about metalworking / had the tools to do it myself, but I do not.

Sincerely,

Robert
Rich Feldman

Re: Where to get custom-made fittings?

Post by Rich Feldman »

Can we see a picture of what you want to adapt to?

In my limited experience, amateur and professional fabricators want to see a conventionally annotated mechanical drawing of desired part.
There are different drawing conventions for machined parts, weldments, etc.
Some shops welcome a 3-D CAD model, as from SolidWorks,
but fab drawing is generally necessary and sufficient. Could even be drawn neatly on paper.

The one exception I've encountered is 3-D printed parts, where two commercial shops and one "friend at work" wanted STL files and nothing more.

Hey, how 'bout 3-D printed plastic parts for vacuum applications that never need to get hot?
Maybe even with inexpensive "extruded filament" technology; I know one person who overcame the natural porosity with some kind of paint.
https://www.instructables.com/3D-Printe ... re-Vessel/
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Chuck Sherwood

Post by Chuck Sherwood »

I am curious if you have found any place to make custom flanges. A good source would be useful to all.

My guess is you can find them, but the price will very likely be sticker shock. I had a couple mechanical engineer friends that regularly worked with machine shops and they constantly complained about how difficult it was to get these places to do small jobs. They just didn't want to do small jobs and would bid them out of sight to make them go away.

I have made a couple custom flanges for odd ebay purchased pumps salvaged from leak detectors and old electron microscopes. I made these out of brass because they had to be made from multiple pieces and then soldered together. Even taking that simple route it took a fair amount of time and material. If you need an O-ring or two, the complexity goes up (and the risk of failure) and so does the time required.

I am now using a Varian HS2 diffusion pump with a standard ASA flange. This makes connecting things much easier. It bolts right up to a old Temescal gate valve and then to ASA to KF50 adapter. Yea, its water cooled DP, but the ultimate pressure is significant lower than an air cooled DP. After an hour from power on, it is down into the low "6s". My air cooled pump from a old leak detector is doing good to cross over into the 6s.

Chuck
bobbychan

Post by bobbychan »

Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

A place that has been recommended by an industry expert is:
https://andreas-mattil.de/
Based in Germany, but he is very friendly and pragmatic with fast replies.

Custom manufacturing of most parts of the system is offered, as in text below.
Shipping will be expensive for intercontinental, so probably just for European consumers unless cost is not a parameter.

VACUUM CHAMBERS AND SPECIAL FABRICATIONS
Vacuum Services is pleased to offer a range of Vacuum Chambers and custom made special fabrications.
Vacuum Services are proficient in the manufacture of special Vacuum fabrications and Vacuum chambers direct from your drawings, sketches or verbal instructions. Our comprehensive manufacturing facilities means we can custom build Vacuum chambers or Vacuum fabrication promptly and cost-effectively, whilst ensuring the highest quality. Vacuum Services can fabricate special Vacuum assemblies and Vacuum chambers up to 750mm diameter.

Our Technical Support is available to you, along with our experienced drawing office. We can produce engineering drawings of your proposed custom product based on your requirements and specification. Or if available we can work from your supplied drawings.

We are able to supply one-off specials ranging from a standard part with an additional port configuration to multi-port chambers up to 750mm diameter, We can manufacture single items on request or supply specials on a regular basis for your vacuum applications.

All chambers and custom fabrications are 100% inspected to ensure they are correct to drawing.

The process is continued with cleaning through our ultra-sonic cleaning plant or with a hot water wash process and air baked as standard to ensure it is completely dry.

The final part is to helium leak test under vacuum to ensure the Chamber or Special fabrication is Leak tight.”
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Got money?? Lots of it?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”