Can somebody check my calculations?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Maciek Szymanski

Can somebody check my calculations?

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

This is not fusor related, but I hope that someone with the vacuum experience can help me. I was asked to calculate gas load for a spectrometer chamber. This is open system with a large slot pumped differentialy (the spectrometer needs better vacuum than the experimental chamber). The calculation is quite simple, but my result was questioned. I’ve asked three people to check it, but can’t get confirmation nor correction for two weeks. I think that for somebody with experience it is not more than 10 minutes. I would be thankful if someone can have a look on it.

8BD67D65-7B91-4986-B673-DE97A296EBBC.jpeg
48E64583-6793-4DB8-85BF-34B362439BEE.jpeg
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Roberto Ferrari

Re: Can somebody check my calculations?

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Maciek
Why the document is dated March 23th?
What is the spectrometer volume?
You say the system is differentially pumped but you don´t show were are the pumps located.
You jump from conductance to volumetric flow.
What is the throughput of the pump?
Where the H2 comes from?
Roberto
Maciek Szymanski

Thank you for response.
  • The date is a mistake - I've rewriten the calculations in english to post it here, and written a wrong date.
  • The volume of the spectrometer is small compared to the experimental chamber and for the initial calculation do not matter in my opinion. The point of the calculation is first estimate of the spectrometer pumping system, so I'm assuming that the spectrometer pump keeps the pressure at the required level and the leak through the slit at the shown pressures defines the minimal throughput of the pump system.
  • There is the pV flow calculated between total conductance and the volumetric flow.
  • The pump system throughput is the point of calculation (theoretically it should equal the leak, in practice ofcourse it must be more).
  • The experimental chamber is filled with the hydrogen at 1e-4 hPa and 50°C.
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Roberto Ferrari

Hi Maciek

I agree with your analysis until the last but one statement.
Seems there is a factor wrongly applied.
Are you writing 15.000 l/s? (sorry Americans, we both use the dot for the thousands and the comma for the decimals).
I got 1,59 l/s, the delta pressure is 10-3.
Maciek Szymanski

The pV flow is:

q = C*(p1 - p2) = 15,9*(1e-4 - 1e-7) = 15,9*9,99e-5 =1,59e-3 hPa*l/s

Calculating volumetric flow at spectrometer chamber pressure p2:

q_v = q/p2 = (1,59e-3)/(1e-7) = 15900 l/s
Roberto Ferrari

Hi Maciek

Sorry not being of more help.
Surely you could submit your doubt to physicsforums.com

Best
Roberto
Maciek Szymanski

Thank you anyway! You made me recheck the calculations once again, that's good. Yesterday the vacuum equipment supplier has confirmed the result (indirectly, but a simple recalculation has proven the method).

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”