ACP28. Dry pump.

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Artem Artemov

ACP28. Dry pump.

Post by Artem Artemov »

Hello. I was given a gift of a dry pump acp28 (adixen, Alcatel, pfeiffer) It works without oil and does not pollute the vacuum. This is a great pump and a crazy gift) The pump is working. But it requires some restoration. I need to remove the dirt, make a new sound insulation (the old one has turned to dust), and I want to paint the case. I'm thinking about whether to disassemble the pump. I didn't find any blueprints. Also, the pump ( not in the vacuum part) is filled with oil. The oil is below the desired level, I do not know when it was poured. Does anyone have any information about these pumps, drawings, what kind of oil is inside?
Attachments
A2C0B38A-BEDE-4C9A-9FC2-35D58943505E.jpeg
68CFFADE-7411-407F-BCD2-D2B13420F277.jpeg
E1DEE83A-5EFE-4251-A2F2-EA4118CF71B2.jpeg
47DEA5D9-1634-4491-B99E-4D0D7BFB0A90.jpeg
97EAAB85-8097-4D9C-AEE9-B6C8F1A339F9.jpeg
6824D4E2-02A6-464C-BEEA-45ABBB09C809.jpeg
25B61A85-19A3-413B-B186-4AA2CBA03F67.jpeg
EFBD9CBE-6339-420F-83E8-69F50E5F2C11.jpeg
Chris Giles

Re: ACP28. Dry pump.

Post by Chris Giles »

Hi Artem,
Nice, i have an ACP15 (mentioned here). You can find the user docs easily and also the service manual. It says the oil is FOMBLIN 113, looks like it is special for the pump. Note from the manual it shows how to read the oil gauge. I thought mine was empty whereas it was fine, maybe your're lucky there. I think this is a sealed unit and the gauge being there for filling it correctly after service.

Is that dirt *inside* the pump? (5th pic) It looks hellish to service and i can image the gaskets etc will be really expensive, although at least it is a currently supported model. Luckily the one I got is in mint condition internally and has very few operational hours clocked up. The external case was battered but really clean inside. All I had to do was rewire it from 3-phase to single phase. I haven't yet tried talking to it with RS-485.
It is great that it doesn't release oil vapour and it is incredibly fast to get close to its ultimate vacuum level. However, it is really loud...
Artem Artemov

Post by Artem Artemov »

Thank you so much, Chris. This manual will help me. This is not dirt, this is «disintegrated foam rubber» ))) it crumbled to dust. It's only on the outside. But a little bit got into the in and out tubes.

I restored 2 pumps. Rotary vane with oil. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13430&hilit=Balzers
I keep viton gaskets if they are in good condition. New gaskets can be purchased on Aliexpress)) it has all sizes and diameters. But only round ones.

Oh, yes, the pump is insanely loud. I'll make some noise insulation.
I want to use the pump in pure vacuum experiments. I was given a Varian ion pump and a controller as a gift.

Does your acp pump work with a turbomolecular pump?
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

This is not dirt, this is «disintegrated foam rubber»
OK hopefully it will clean up well then!
I'll make some noise insulation.
A problem is that it needs a good airflow inside the case (noisy fan for this!). The manual shows they make a noise reducing enclosure. I can't tell if that is a replacement for the sheet steel case, or an additional housing. Maybe that was what was on your that degraded? Mine doesn't have any foam inside the case.
Does your acp pump work with a turbomolecular pump?
It will do (provides good enough vacuum) and the pump is marketed for this. I just haven't got round to it yet. Missing a few vacuum parts and time...

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”