info about TPH-050

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Roberto Ferrari

info about TPH-050

Post by Roberto Ferrari » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:16 pm

I have the following questions about the Pfeiffer TPH-050 turbomolecular pump:
-where to get the lubricating oil, or a replacement one.
-the resistances of the motor windings.
-the motor windings pin-out.
Thanks in advance.
Roberto

Bob Reite

Re: info about TPH-050

Post by Bob Reite » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:16 am

For the lube oil, try turbovacuum.com, idealvac.com or provac.com. There may be other vendors that I have missed.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:56 am

Duniway stockroom.com.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi,

I got a bunch of the oil that is specifically for this pump. Send me a PM and we can discuss pricing.

Thanks
AA

Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi Ameen

Thanks a lot, I already got a stock.
Roberto

Mark Sato

Post by Mark Sato » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:35 pm

I'd like to add to this post in case anyone in the future is looking for oil for TPH / TPU series pumps. I spent nearly a whole day searching for something suitable without paying an arm and a leg. The manual specifies T12 oil which I've had zero luck finding any mention of other than in a post on this very forum. However, I did find idealvac listing a substitution here: https://www.idealspectroscopy.com/Cambr ... pp/P103607. Needless to say, I had no appetite to spend nearly $250, so I started my long, convoluted search. The mfg of that oil lists it as being a substitute for HE-500 and TL-011. Well, those aren't cheap either. Looking through various substitution charts, I ultimately boiled it down to being an ISO viscosity grade 32 oil, which opened up options outside of the usual channels. I eventually found and settled on Ravenol ISO VG 32 (P/N 1330704), which under applications states "RAVENOL Vakuumpumpenoel ISO VG 32 is suitable for the lubrication of vacuum pumps (rotary vane pumps, diffusion pumps, turbo pumps), where mineral oils are required, as well as for mist lubrication and crankcase.", which can be found under $20/liter shipped in the US. That's MUCH more palatable to my wallet. That said, as of this writing, I have not yet tested it, but I have high confidence that it's a suitable oil for all those pumps listed in the idealvac link posted above. Prior to finding that, I had almost decided to go with Leybonol LVO 120 which I believe would also have been suitable, but slightly more expensive. Beware: these oils are only suitable for pumping air and non-reactive gases! If you'll be pumping nastier stuff, you'll need to find something else (read: more expensive).

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”