DIY Turbopump Controller

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Nikodem Czechowski

Re: DIY Turbopump Controller

Post by Nikodem Czechowski » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:02 am

OK Nicolas :) If you would need any assistance with PCB and electronics, feel free to ask.

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:49 am

I have an official schematic for the controller for these pumps. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bUBQ ... sp=sharing

There are about 4 drive models that will run this pump, the NT10, NT12, and NT13 as well as the NT50 which I have provided the schematic for. Sometimes these models do pop on ebay at reasonable prices. I also may know someone with working NT50s for sale. I think there is a NT11 but I have never seen one.

Nikodem Czechowski

Post by Nikodem Czechowski » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:49 pm

Jerry Biehler wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:49 am
I have an official schematic for the controller for these pumps. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bUBQ ... sp=sharing

There are about 4 drive models that will run this pump, the NT10, NT12, and NT13 as well as the NT50 which I have provided the schematic for. Sometimes these models do pop on ebay at reasonable prices. I also may know someone with working NT50s for sale. I think there is a NT11 but I have never seen one.
NT50 seems to be overly complicated and based on discrete ICs and logic - a thing, that easily can fit into an Arduino module. I would not recomend replicating it nowadays. Maybe the driver stage, of the transistors are still available.

Also - what is a reasonable price for this controllers?

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:36 pm

Nikodem, please do not include quotes from the same thread. We are following it just fine. We have to tell this to many people who come here. I realize they are the norm on many sites. However, we are capable of fully and properly following a single post thread through all of its reply postings. Just simply reply without quoting something that is either immediately above or even 5 posts back in the thread, we will know what you are talking about in reply.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:40 pm

Thank you Jerry, that's sure to prove useful! As far as prices for a controller on eBay, my pump was 100$ w/out a controller, I routinely see Turbotroniks listed for over $1000, and unfortunately haven't had any look looking for cheap ones.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:24 pm

Jerry,
I guess you posted the scans of the NT50 controller a few years back as I have a saved copy. (Not sure if the post was here or Coulter.) Anyway, I took your separate page scans and merged the ones that make up just the schematic in to one single big PNG file. There are other pages in your scans that have info besides the schematic so my pic isn't all of it.

I have just uploaded it here:
http://www.xertech.net/pub/NT-50_joined_1.png

Feel free to copy it and add to your page if you desire.

The size is actually smaller than your single page scans. I reduced the pixel dimensions to 1200 vertical and applied contrast to make more black and white. I think it is still quite readable in my version.
Rex Allers

Peter Schmelcher

Post by Peter Schmelcher » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:12 pm

Jerry thanks for the NT50 schematic and Rex for combining the sheets, both are downloaded for a future traumatic rainy day.
The information provides lots of clues for trouble shooting my similar NT10.

For the younger fellows, reverse engineering a black box is a miserable repair procedure and even if successful you still can’t be certain that the repair is behind you until you have lots of miles on the repair.
-Peter

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:57 am

I've hooked in the microcontroller, LCD, and on/off switch on the current schematic. Still lots of details left to verify though. I can't seem to attach the file to the message board but if you PM me I'll happily provide the file to any interested parties. I do have a question about the connectors to the transformers though, I'm not 100% sure on their use. I don't think they're necessary to hook into the microcontroller but I could be wrong?
Capture.PNG

ArkadiuszGibes

Post by ArkadiuszGibes » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 am

Hi guys

I already made driver for Turbovac 50. You can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPkOAWe2w2c - it's part of my rotor balancing "toy" now.
The project is based on https://github.com/NiklasFauth/stm32-turbotronik - it's not mine. I did some changes to it and it works well. If someone would like i can shere PCBs and schematic. There is also DC/DC (mains/200V) converter that i made for this pump, but it requires to wind the transformer and the one that i used was just some old crap which i took out from old TV. I will try to prepare some more detailed description soon. Im at work now .

Best Regards
Arek

Nikodem Czechowski

Post by Nikodem Czechowski » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:50 am

Hi Arek!

Please do share your schematic and PCB. I thinks this is what I'm looking for for my TMP

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”