IR / Visible ZnSe windows

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
John Futter

IR / Visible ZnSe windows

Post by John Futter »

New ZnSe windows arrived from China.
I bought 10 of these from china custom made for approx $2000 75mm dia 5mm thick they are stunning
IMG_20200916_133006_228.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Re: IR / Visible ZnSe windows

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Obivously good for the infrared - so I assume that is their purpose? And why so many?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Planning on a gang of IR work? At 2 kilobucks, your are a serious guy.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

I'm wanting to see an ion beam target with a FLIR camera and see how hot it is getting during implantation and also use it to look at a heated stage in a sputter system

and why so many
the sputter system will tend to coat the window so I got a few spares
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Don't know the wavelength your using but if it is above 4 microns, a silicon wafer could be used to protect the ZnS window. Three inch diameter silicon wafers are rather cheap - or use to be; don't know if still avialable but might be worth looking in to if that wavelength is usable.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Wow, looked up the transmission of silicon wafers and it is closer to one micron! While its just 60% over 1.4 microns (high index) it certainly would be a cheap protection plate.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I once paid $100 for a giant (12" aperture) IR lens at a hamfest. It was undoubtedly some sort of military surplus IR lensing system. The lens weighed over 32 lbs! It had a totally opaque front element of pure elemental germanium. I kept it for about 3 years and sold it to a much more astute person at a hamfest for his first offer of $300. I now realize that there was about $8000 worth of germanium contained in that lens. Oh well....

I attach the pass band graph of a 5mm thick disk of pure germanium. Fantastic!

Richard Hull
Attachments
Germanium_Uncoated_Window_Transmission_Visible_780.gif
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”