Is $180(USD) a good offer for a Pfeiffer TCP 121 turbo controller?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Joshua Guertler

Is $180(USD) a good offer for a Pfeiffer TCP 121 turbo controller?

Post by Joshua Guertler »

I was recently offered $180USD (€152 EUR, $238 CAN, $251 AUD, £138 GBP) for a TCP turbo controller in working condition (shipping, handling, and other costs are included). Is this a good price, or should I be looking for something better?

I'm not in a position where I can be throwing around my money, however I'd be willing to spend it so long as it's a good deal. My time is limited, so I can't afford to spend 3-5 months scouring eBay/IdealVac for deals. Thanks!
Richard Hull

Re: Is $180(USD) a good offer for a Pfeiffer TCP 121 turbo controller?

Post by Richard Hull »

Any cables come with it? You have cables already with your pump? If the cables are there, this is a great price provided both your pump and the controller are indeed 100% functional. No way to really know though.... is there???

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Richard's points are correct; without the proper cable, you still have no opperational turbo. Also, the person must guarantee that the unit works or will refund your money. Those devices are not easy to repair as Richard knows.
Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler »

Thank you for your replies,

It looks like there aren't any cables included with the controller. Are these cables usually easy to come by online/eBay for a fair price? Thanks.

Josh
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Forget the proper cables as they are just not encountered. I hate, but will not shy away from telling you that, 1. you may have to hand cobble the cables if you can get the plugs, assuming they are common to the industry and 2. After all that effort, you may find that one or the other, (the pump, or the controller/supply), is defective. Yet another whammy to the gut. Piece-mealing a turbo system is just full of pitfalls. All the best of luck and best wishes. I would never even consider a turbo pump for a high vacuum system, unless I fell into a complete working system with cables for under $300 complete! (which is what I did).

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Hi Josh.

I can help you out if you want to proceed with this as I have the same unit. Firstly, if you don't buy that particular TCP121, then bear in mind there is also TCP120 which is typically cheaper; its the same electronics but with no front-panel, for use as an embedded controller in larger machine. I notice there was an RS232 capable type of these as well. Some jokers list these controllers for $500 or so but I imagine they have just looked up the new price and will never sell at such a price! I mean... who ever buys one of these apart from us lot!? Occasionally a seller actually wants to shift one and then its more like $100+ depending how lucky you are.

Anyway, I have identified the connectors. The controller has DIN-41622 connectors. The motor has a Souriau 851 19-pin milspec connector. The DIN connectors will be about $20 each ($10 for the plug and $10 for the hood). You need 2 of these, one for the motor and one for the power and control. The milspec one is going to be $30+ unless you have a lucky ebay find. I have a damaged one which is probably spare but I haven't got around to testing my setup due to lack of time and some vac parts. You also need decent cable. The originals are shielded.

Obviously if you can find a controller including a cable, that's going to be much easier. However, it is also a very rare find so you night have to wait a very long time. You can proceed if you're competent at soldering (the 851 is probably not going to be easy as its densely packed) and bear in mind that the parts to make the cables will cost the best part of $100.

Best regards
Chris

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”