Bell Jar - general issue postings in future

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Richard Hull

Bell Jar - general issue postings in future

Post by Richard Hull »

I have created this repository for all future month Bell Jar updates rather than creating a new posting for each release. I will just copy Steve Hansen's e-mail reply to this posting with new listings, bringing it to the top of the vacuum listings each time. You can rely on the Bell Jar for cool vacuum tips and interesting projects. All back issues can be found on his website.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Re: Bell Jar - general issue postings in future

Post by Richard Hull »

The December 2021 issue of the amateur vacuum newsletter "the Bell Jar" is now available. It may be directly downloaded as a pdf from http://www.belljar.net/tBJ_December_2021.pdf

Articles and contributions include some initial results from the transfer of the Basic Vacuum Education System (BVES) to Dr. Shawn Carlson and the LabRats organization; Marc Brutschy, a retired analytical chemist, relating his plans for vacuum-related projects and Mark Atherton on the preparation of e-beam test targets using P31 phosphor. Also, some more articles of possible interest in Vacuum Technology & Coating magazine.

It, and other publications and articles, may be found at http://www.belljar.net/articles.html

Steve Hansen
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The February 2022 issue of the amateur vacuum newsletter "the Bell Jar" is now available. It may be directly downloaded as a pdf from http://www.belljar.net/tBJ_February_2022.pdf
Articles include Albert Noble on his work to develop a simple liquid manometer microbarograph, the argon emission spectrum from my APPJ, an update my progress with the capillary (channel) spark device and some notes on improvised vacuum breaks. As usual, I've noted several articles of possible interest in Vacuum Technology & Coating magazine.
http://www.belljar.net/articles.html
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The March 2022 issue of the amateur vacuum newsletter "the Bell Jar" is now available. It may be directly downloaded as a pdf from http://www.belljar.net/tBJ_March_2022.pdf
Articles include updates on Albert Noble’s liquid column microbarograph and on my capillary spark apparatus, measure twice, cut once (or not at all), and two books on fusion energy and a very different spin off. I've noted three articles of possible interest in Vacuum Technology & Coating magazine that deal with residual gas analyzers for process monitoring
It, and other publications and articles, may be found at http://www.belljar.net/articles.html

Steve Hanson

Note to above, related to a book on fusion's future

Steve notes a couple of books on the future of fusion in this issue of the BJ. In one of the books the author admits to a bit of table-top fusion along the lines of the Farnsworth fusor. That author notes that the first to do such table-top fusion were Thiago Olson and Michael Li. All here can see that both did amateur fusion well after it was done here first, by others! Their listing in the fusioneer listing post dates that done by myself and others like Scott Little, Joe Zambelli, Jon Rosenstiel, Tom Ligon and finally Michael Li, 6th to do fusor fusion. Thiago Olson was the 16th person to do fusion. How did these get first mention?

Michael Li was the first amateur National science fair winner with a fusor and Thiago Olson was the second. Both won scholarship cash. Apparently, the author just did a leap to the listing of National science fair winners and let that be it.

All should look at the fusioneer listing to follow up on who did what first. Prior to fusor.net, no one had done amateur fusion in a fusor on a table-top.

To Steve's credit in the Bell jar, he did give credit to my early work, but others here precede Li and Olsen.

R.H.
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

I think Michael Li and Thiago Olson got called out in the book as the first TEENAGERS to do "table top" fusion.

Sorry Richard, but you don't really qualify as a teenager (and you didn't 25 years ago either). Even if you still are one at heart. :-)

Joe.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The first teenager would have been Joe Zambelli and then Carl Willis. So, the author still got it wrong. Again, he just scanned the science fair data. Of course, this is close enough for the purpose of his smattering and honorable mention of table-top fusion. The important thing is the fusor fusion by an amateur be it older or teenager occurred before the ones mentioned.

Richard Hull

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”